Adding gmail account to thunderbird

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
spaulb37

Adding gmail account to thunderbird

Post by spaulb37 »

When I go add my gmail account in thunderbird on the page enter credentials for email where it says sign in and lists your email address when I click the next button nothing happens. It does not go to the next page where you would enter your password. Also if I click more options again nothing happens. It is set security wise to oauth2. This happens with firefox or chrome as default browser
spaulb37

Re: Adding gmail account to thunderbird

Post by spaulb37 »

I could not get kmail or sylpheed to add a gmail account. So google must have changed some setting at their end
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

When I go add my gmail account in thunderbird on the page enter credentials for email where it says sign in and lists your email address when I click the next button nothing happens. It does not go to the next page where you would enter your password.
Upgrade to the latest version of Thunderbird. I just tried and it failed. I upgraded to the latest version and it worked.
spaulb37

Post by spaulb37 »

I looked on apt-get. Am on the latest version of thunderbird for kde serena
spaulb37

Post by spaulb37 »

Thanks anyway. Appreciate any help
spaulb37

Post by spaulb37 »

Downloaded most recent version from mozilla website as above. It worked. Thanks so much
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "spaulb37",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

This should be an easy task. I use Gmail with "Kmail" and "Thunderbird" (& other email clients) and have for years.

I.) For KDE Kmail (excellent email client): When you first start Kmail, it will usually ask to add your email account, if not, click Tools -> Account Wizard. Enter in your Name, full Email Address, and your Password, make sure "Find provider Settings" is checked, click Next, select Imap (keeps emails on providers servers with option to save locally) or POP3 (save emails locally to your hard drive, also has options), click "Create Account" which creates the account in Kmail on your Linux Mint KDE system, after a little bit of time you will see the new account in Kmail on the left and the message "Setup Complete", click "Finish". You can add other email address as well in the same way. There are a lot of other options with Kmail including excellent GPG / PGP encryption. If you have a lot of emails, like I do, then it can take awhile for Kmail to "sync" them, so be patient on the first run. I have also found that you may have to restart Kmail (File -> Exit) or logout and then log back in to begin reading your messages after the first setup.

Address Book (email contacts): You can also go to Tools -> Address Book (KAddressBook), and have Kmail automatically import and sync your Gmail email addresses. In the Address Book, Click File -> New -> Add Address Book, scroll down to "Google Contacts", click it to highlight it (select it), click Ok. A new pop window appears, click the Add button and a Google Login screen appears to Authenticate who you are (If you have more than one Gmail account pick the one you want for current setup, you can add more or all of them later), enter in your full Gmail email address, enter in your Password and click "Sign In", on the next screen "Akonadi Resources for Google Services would like to" click "Allow". You should now have your Gmail account listed. Check Enable Refresh if you want Kmail to check Gmail every so many minutes for any new email address and sync them, click Ok. After a little bit of time, you will see your email contacts addresses appear, give it some time to finish, then close the address book if you want.

II.) Thunderbird: Install from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM). After installing Thunderbird, I recommend installing "Enigmail" (GPG encryption) and if you want the "Lightning" calendar option too which can be done through the TB add-ons menu.

In Linux Mint 18.x you probably already have the newest Thunderbird, but in Linux Mint 17.x you might have to use their official PPA. On a fresh install of Linux Mint KDE 17.3, Thunderbird would not come up unless I installed it using the PPA below, even though it used to. I did install Kubuntu Backports PPA which may have affected that.

To install the newest Thunderbird use the PPA method (works for Linux Mint 17.x or 18.x) , open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-security/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install thunderbird
When you first start Thunderbird, it should ask you for a new account, or to "Skip this use my existing email", or "I think I'll configure my account later". If you already have a Gmail account, select "Skip this use my existing email", enter in your Name, full email address, and your password, click Continue, again you have a choice of Imap or POP3 select one, click Done, then the Google authentication screen appears, enter in your full email address (if it is not already in that) click Next, enter in your Password and click Next, Click Allow, you will now see that email account in Thunderbird on the left side, at the bottom of Thunderbird is a question, answer yes or no. You may have to exit Thunderbird (File Exit/Quit) and restart it. It will come up with a pop-up window for "System Integration", click "Set as default" for TB to be the default email client, or "Skip Integration"; I usually skip this, but you may want this. Now give Thunderbird (TB) time to login and retrieve (update) this email account.

Tip: I like to have the toolbar options visible, so if you click the triple horizontal lines menu button (upper right), select Preferences, you can check "Menu Bar".

Address Book (email contacts email addresses): there are a few Thunderbird add-ons to automatically import your Google Mail (Gmail) email addresses and sync them with your Thunderbird address book. One that I use is called "gContactSync" that you can add through the "add-ons" menu, then restart TB. After TB comes back up, the "gContactSync" setup wizard will ask you to use an existing Gmail account, pick one, click Next, then the Google Authentication screen comes up, enter in your Gmail email address if it is not already there, enter in your Password and click Next, click "Allow", on the next screen, Under "Groups and Contacts" I would change to "All Groups and Contacts", under pick direction for Synchronization choose complete or whatever you want, I use complete (both directions), click Finish. You will see messages at the bottom, after a little time, a message will appear "Synchronization Summary" stating that your email contacts email address have been synced, click Ok. Check your address book and of your your email addresses (contacts) should all be there.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Pope John

Post by Pope John »

I have the same problem. Earlier suggestions did not work. Does anyone have another clue?

Thanks!
Nem2k

Post by Nem2k »

This bug has been reported here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 359297#c32

When I had this problem (on Windows) I updated thunderbird to v52 and it was fixed. There are some other solutions posted in that bug report as well
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Try using "Normal Password" rather than OAuth2
manashalder

Post by manashalder »

I was facing the same problem. I had to check a few setting and make some changes then it worked.
SMTP Server
SMTP server port: 465
connection security: sSL/TLS
Auth..: OAuth2

IMAP Mail server

POrt: 993
connection security: SSL/TLS
Auth..: OAuth2

In addition in the firewall setting allow 'incoming'.

Return to “Software & Applications”