Dolphin file transfer window

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nem2k

Dolphin file transfer window

Post by Nem2k »

When I'm copying/moving big files in dolphin the only way I can see the current progress is in the notification area (with the spinning icon). I've now changed my notification settings so that it doesnt pick up on file transfers, and now I see transfers in the menu bar at the bottom with a small progress bar

Is there a way to bring up a window with a progress bar (like you would get in windows) to explicitly highlight the fact that a file transfer is happening, and what the current progress is? Currently, the only way to see file transfer progress is barely noticeable and I'd like something a bit more obvious

I'm using Mint KDE 18.2 on a macbook pro retina
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Dolphin file transfer window

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Nem2k",

With Linux Mint KDE 18.1 (18.x) you usually have two visible indications of activity:
1. The Notifications icon (circle) in the system tray panel which you can click to see a progress bar.

2. New in versions Linux Mint 18.x, the application's icon tab in the taskbar usually shows a progress line at the top. This may depend upon which desktop theme you use.

3. How to Monitor Progress of (Copy/Backup/Compress) Data using ‘pv’ Command
https://www.tecmint.com/monitor-copy-ba ... v-command/

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Tue May 30, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Nem2k

Post by Nem2k »

Is there a way to disable both, and instead show a new popup window with the transfer progress?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Nem2k",
Nem2k wrote:Is there a way to disable both ...
Not that I know of, nor would that be a good idea. The whole purpose of the notifications is to notify the user of what is going on. Of course, the user has the ability to control what type of notifications are used, sound, pop-ups, etc... through the notifications options in the system menu, or when a notification pops up click the settings wrench.

As for the new feature in Linux Mint 18.x (Ubuntu 16.04) of displaying progress in the taskbar application's icon, I think that changes depending upon the desktop and icon themes chosen, older themes may not show that, not sure...
Nem2k wrote:... instead show a new popup window with the transfer progress?
Yes, there are ways to show a pop-up transfer progress window in KDE.

General search results:
https://www.google.com/#q=Linux+KDE+dol ... r+progress

As for displaying the file transfer progress, read these links...
https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/4 ... s_missing/

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1853895

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread. ... 3d60814ae3

Temp Solution : Right click on the ( i ) notification icon on your system tray, and go to Notification Settings. De-select the "Track file transfers and other jobs" option...
https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=224&t=135264

Both the System Tray track and the Task manager progress need to be disabled before the window for the file transfer progress is available - earlier KDE Forums: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=131078 -> viewtopic.php?f=22&t=131078#p357736

https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=131078
Re: Krusader's file transfer (progress bar) in notification
Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:54 am

Since Plasma 5.6.4 (Kubuntu 16.04) I have to disable both:
Notifications / right click - Notifications Settings... / uncheck Track file transfers and other jobs / OK
right click on the task bar / Task Manager Settings.../ uncheck Show progress and status information in task buttons / OK

Then logout and login.

I wish there would be a way to have the Krusader's file transfer window and status information in task buttons at the same time.

Must restart KDE or at least logout and log back in...

How to Monitor Progress of (Copy/Backup/Compress) Data using ‘pv’ Command
https://www.tecmint.com/monitor-copy-ba ... v-command/

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Nem2k",

I just followed the simple instructions in the links to have my Linux Mint KDE 17.3 show a pop-up window for file transfers instead of automatically integrating it into the "Notifications" system tray icon which works well too, but you have to click that to see transfer progress.

All I had to do was:

Right click the Notifications icon in the system tray (circle with "i" info), select "Notifications Settings", and uncheck "File Transfers and Jobs", click Apply, Ok, and restart or at least logout and log back in, see screenshots below.
KDE_NotificationSettings1sm.jpg
KDE_DolphinFileManager_CopyInfo3sm.jpg
KDE_DolphinFileManager_CopyInfo1sm.jpg
If you do not see the Notifications Icon in the system tray, right click the top edge of the system tray on the right side until you see "System Tray Settings" and click that, select "Entries" on the left, change Notifications on the right to Always Visible (show), click Apply, Ok, then you will see the Notifications icon where you can change its settings. After making Notification Settings changes, if you want to have the notifications icon only show when active, you can use the same process to change the System Tray Settings for the Notification icon back to "Auto".

Tip: You can have the file transfer pop-up window sized and placed wherever you want (like any other window) instead of at the top by default, just move it and resize it the way you want, then by right clicking the Titlebar of that window, select "More Actions", "Special Window Settings", on the "Size and Position" Tab, check "Postion", "Size", "Desktop", "Activity", and "Screens" (if you use more than one monitor screen), change them to "Remember", "All Desktops" and "All activities or 'Desktop' " respectively, which monitor screen, click Apply and Ok.

Hope this helps ...
blue_bullet

Post by blue_bullet »

Nice tutorial PHD21. I name and save special window configurations per your tip out to Dropbox for sharing and for importing on other machines.
Nem2k

Post by Nem2k »

That change didnt seem to do anything on mint KDE 18.1

Were any major changes made wrt this from 17.x to 18.x?
blue_bullet

Post by blue_bullet »

Nem2k wrote:That change didnt seem to do anything on mint KDE 18.1

Were any major changes made wrt this from 17.x to 18.x?
Some of us went back to 17.3 b/c too many things stopped working on 18.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Nem2k",

With Linux Mint KDE 18.x, you have an extra step, you also have to right click the taskbar and select "Task Manager Settings", and uncheck "Show progress and status information in task buttons", then restart or at least logout and log back in.

I booted into my Linux Mint KDE 18.1 to test this, and it works, see screenshots.

Hope this helps ...
KDE18_TaskManagerSettings1.jpg
KDE18_Transfer_Information_Window1.jpg

Return to “Software & Applications”