PlayOnLinux Bug

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
_Josue_

PlayOnLinux Bug

Post by _Josue_ »

Seems I stumbled upon an old bug while using play on linux.

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=849119

I'm using Linux MInt KDE 18.1

Some dialogue windows buttons don't show up or show up partially. This happens specially when you have a window decorator theme with big borders
See for example this image:

It's even worse with this other theme because it has even bigger borders.

In a worse case scenario the buttons are completely invisible / unclickable leaving the user wondering what's wrong and whats going on.

It's like since those dialogue windows can't be resized and the extra size of the borders is not considered by playonlinux this just doesn't work.

The only workaround is to change window decorations.

Now who should be blamed? Kde for the window border decorator misbehavior or PlayOnLInux for putting the buttons way too glued to the edge and not enabling those windows to be resized?
Or perhaps both?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: PlayOnLinux Bug

Post by Hoser Rob »

That bug report only applies to HiDPI screens, and I see no sign that you're using one. If that bug does apply to you, which I doubt, please read the whole thing and you'll find it's an old POL bug that they don't seem to care about fixing.

PLayOnLinux is based on WIne ... as are all similar apps AFAIK ... and WIne is simply unreliable software based on a stupid hack that was guaranteed to make it unreliable. A Windows VM is the only reliable way to run Windows software in Linux.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
_Josue_

Re: PlayOnLinux Bug

Post by _Josue_ »

Hoser Rob wrote:That bug report only applies to HiDPI screens, and I see no sign that you're using one.
Huh? uhm, I took those screenshots. They're from my other laptop. I don't know if a Full HD 1080p 15'' qualifies as HiDPI but I happen to be affected.
Hoser Rob wrote:If that bug does apply to you, which I doubt, please read the whole thing and you'll find it's an old POL bug that they don't seem to care about fixing.
In other words I'm screwed because they don't care? Is there really no way to make the developers notice that it would be good to fix this?
Well, at least I have mentioned a workaround in this thread. This bug is inherited all the way through up to my Linux Mint KDE 18.1 which means it doesn't affect just me, but anyone who uses Debian, Ubuntu and Linux Mint with a HiDPI screen.
Someone posted another workaround there too, but it only works in certain cases. *Sigh*
Hoser Rob wrote: PLayOnLinux is based on WIne ... as are all similar apps AFAIK ... and WIne is simply unreliable software based on a stupid hack that was guaranteed to make it unreliable. A Windows VM is the only reliable way to run Windows software in Linux.
Well, I happen to be running StarCraft with Play On linux, and it runs better than it does in VirtualBox because of how idiosincratic they are managing the resolutions. And I think I will make yet another account (this time at VirtualBox Forums) to report my findings on how the latest VirtualBox behaves differently in windows and in linux.
In fact, I want to take my time (and I hope I will be able to do it) to report and document every single bug or glitch or missing feature I find in all the free software I use, for the sake of the Open Source Community!!!
I... I want to find a way to get more things working better, even if they're not as reliable as they should, everything would be improved wouldn't it?

Return to “Software & Applications”