[SOLVED]How Can I Install the Steam Time Plasmoid?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
banjo
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED]How Can I Install the Steam Time Plasmoid?

Post by banjo »

Greetings. I am new to Mint. I have been running Mageia for a while, and I am looking at Mint/KDE as an alternative.

My favorite KDE plasmoid clock is the steam punk "Steam Time" plasmoid, but it apparently is not available in the plasma-widgets-addons in the Mint repositories. I have downloaded the source code from github to see if I can install it from that, but I do not know where to take it from there.

Is there a tutorial somewhere that will tell me how I can get the widget installed on Mint? What tools will take the source code and make an installable widget?

Thanks,
Banjo
(_)=='=~
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
If only the best bird sang, the forest would be a very quiet place.
Rhonja

Re: How Can I Install the Steam Time Plasmoid?

Post by Rhonja »

If I see it right, the "Steam Time" plasmoid is for KDE 4 only. It has not been updated for more than 3 years, on github even 4 years. Mint 18.x uses KDE 5, so "Steam Time" is not compatible.
https://store.kde.org/p/1002129/
banjo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How Can I Install the Steam Time Plasmoid?

Post by banjo »

Yes. Now that I look at it, it is quite old.

I don't know much about KDE other than using it. But I have been pushing this around for a bit to see if I can figure out how all this hangs together.

The tools for KDE 5 have apparently been changed quite a bit since KDE 4. I first used plasmapgk --install to install it, and that tool put it into a KDE4 folder, which obviously KDE5 was not looking at.

I have managed to install it using kpackagetool5 -i, which puts it into a folder where KDE 5 finds it, and then it shows up in the list. I moved some folders around and imported QtQuick 2.3 (instead of 1.0), changed some file names, and it runs... sort of. The plasmoid is using >50% of both cores on the computer. :shock: . I'm not sure it is worth that.

But, it is interesting how this stuff works. As ye fool around, so shall ye learn.

Thanks for answering.
Banjo
(_)=='=~
If only the best bird sang, the forest would be a very quiet place.

Return to “Software & Applications”