First contact with Linux and Wacom tablet

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Franciscoilustrador
Level 1
Level 1

First contact with Linux and Wacom tablet

Post by Franciscoilustrador »

Hello, I am currently a Windows user. As an artist and illustrator, I have been interested in digital inlustration for some time, with Krita as the main software for my work.

Beforehand, I apologize if I am not rigorous with the concepts, I do not know anything about Linux and this will be my first contact (or so I hope).

I need to expand my computer and buy a new PC, for which I had thought about installing a Linux distro. I especially liked Linux Mint.
My biggest problem for your installation is the management of my Wacom tablet.
I've seen some distros based on Gnome, which have an overly simple interface, and in KDE I've seen one that resembles much more than Windows.
The problem is that this does not seem to work in the latest versions of KDE (it seems to only work in KDE 4, not 5).
I am interested in Linux and its philosophy, and the little that I have researched has left me pleasantly surprised ... Except the difficulty setting up a graphic tablet. It seems that everything passes through the terminal, and for a beginner does not seem the best option. Is it true that the latest version of Linux Mint KDE does not support the interface for wacom? What do you advise me?
Thank you!
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Re: First contact with Linux and Wacom tablet

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Franciscoilustrador",

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Search for "wacom" in the Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), install "xserver-xorg-input-wacom-lts-xenial", MyPaint, etc... restart afterwards...

You can obviously install Linux Mint KDE 17.3 with long term support still.

Apparently because software is being update to "wayland" there are delays with updating some packages, and wacom is one of them.

These articles may be of Interest. One article claims that some options were available under system Settings, Input devices, Joystick?

Arch Linux has updated this, but I do not know how to install it. You can ask...
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/kcm- ... works-git/

KDE/wacomtablet
https://github.com/KDE/wacomtablet

Ubuntu 16.04 for my digital painting workstation
http://www.davidrevoy.com/article316/ub ... orkstation

* Wacom Wiki
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wacom_tablet

missing tablet option
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread. ... let-option

Wacom tablet config and Plasma 5? (Pref gui)
https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquestions ... _pref_gui/

Tablet Configuration
http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... figuration

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

It's possible that a Wacom works in KDE 4 and not KDE 5 because of KDE itself but it's unlikely. Hardware recognition happens below DE level in Linux. Are you also comparing different distros/releases there?

From what I can see, Wacom Linux support is very spotty. ANd for pro use you're going to find it pretty hard ... read impossible ... to get proper Pantone and proprietary file system upport that you need in Linux. This is an area where I'd probably go WIndoze. I don't have any WIndows anymore myself but for this (and other business apps) I would.
Franciscoilustrador
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the quick answers. It seems that Linux is not an easy operating system for graphical applications, but perhaps accepting some limitations can achieve acceptable but "non-professional" results. I've been investigating a bit (thanks for the links, phd21, although I'm still on windows), and the task of configuring through the terminal is not overly difficult, completing the GUI in Gnome environments. More limited than on windows but seems operational ... Maybe Mint Canela is the most accurate distro.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

You are welcome...

Obviously, the one link shows a professional Graphics Artist working in Linux. And there are many other articles on various professionals, including graphics artists, on using Linux on the Internet and in this forum.

I have both Linux Mint KDE 17.3 and 18.1 installed on my computer. 17.3 is still supported for awhile now, so you can certainly try that to see if that works better than version 18.x for you, until 18.x catches up regarding wacom tablets and more. Most updates and upgrades are not huge major ones, but Linux Mint 17.x based on Ubuntu 14.04 to Linux Mint 18.x based on Ubuntu 16.04 is a huge major upgrade.

FYI: The MyPaint software application was designed for use with graphics tablets...

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

FYI: I knew that Linux Mint KDE 17.3 has options for graphics tablet support, so I booted into that, and here are a couple screenshots. I do not have a graphics tablet (although I would like one), so the second screenshot does not show everything it would if a graphics tablet was connected.
KDE173_GraphicsTablet0.jpg
KDE173_GraphicsTablet1.jpg
Franciscoilustrador
Level 1
Level 1

I thank you again for the info, and I have yet to decide that LM installed, although of course I feel like trying it, maybe together with windows still. He is right about David Revoy, is a great artist and is the first reference in my first steps in digital painting (he is a teacher in Krita). It is also he who made me think about the change from Windows to Linux, after reading his great blog and his thoughts on the Open Source ... It is also true that in his posts, David expresses the difficulties to adjust his Linux to a " Professional use ". True, it is not impossible, but something less immediate and simple than on windows. In return Linux offers other things, which I think are very much to bear in mind. If I did not believe it, I would not consider trying it. :)
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Franciscoilustrador"

You are welcome ...

Please keep us posted on your progress ...

Linux Mint 18.x will of course continue to be updated, along with applications and utilities and various hardware drivers and software (like tablet support) will be updated to this version. But, you can certainly continue to use version 17.3 with long term support through 2019.

FYI: You can also request through various website and software application forums for bugfixes, new features, new requests, etc...
Raydog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Raydog »

In the release notes for LM Kde 18.2 Clem posted:

Wacom tablets support
Unfortunately Plasma 5 does not support Wacom tablets yet. You can however install a KDE 4 KCM module and launch it from the terminal.

To install it, open a terminal and type:

apt install kded5 kde-config-tablet

To launch it, open a terminal and type:

qdbus org.kde.kded /kded loadModule wacomtablet

kcmshell4 kcm_wacomtablet

Note: I do not have a Wacom tablet so I don't know if this will work for you. I assume Clem tested it. I posted this FYI only.
LinuxMint 18.2 Kde, MacBook 9,2 (Mid 2012).
Franciscoilustrador
Level 1
Level 1

I appreciate the help and interest in my first contact with Linux. I will take very into account this last info, which seems a good solution.
Regards!

Return to “KDE”