Testing KDE 5.9/ KDE 5.10 in Linux Mint 18.2 "Sonya"

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
freddodifferenizente

Testing KDE 5.9/ KDE 5.10 in Linux Mint 18.2 "Sonya"

Post by freddodifferenizente »

Hello,

I installed KDE Plasma 5.8.7 on my Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon edition (alongside with Cinnamon - took the risk and got away with it) but I now want to force the 5.9 (or even better (?)) the 5.10 edition. Is there a way to do it?
(I suppose it would be an equivalent question to ask: Is there a way to add ppa from newer Ubuntu versions to older Ubuntu version?)

Thanks in advance
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Re: KDE 5.9/ KDE 5.10 in Linux Mint 18.2 "Sonya"

Post by mr_raider »

Clearly you have no fear!
freddodifferenizente

Post by freddodifferenizente »

mr_raider wrote:Clearly you have no fear!
Yeah. Worst case scenario, I'll clean-install. It's summer, so I got to find an excuse to be grumpy about.
AlekseyK

Post by AlekseyK »

freddodifferenizente wrote:Hello,

I installed KDE Plasma 5.8.7 on my Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon edition (alongside with Cinnamon - took the risk and got away with it) but I now want to force the 5.9 (or even better (?)) the 5.10 edition. Is there a way to do it?
I Just did it - upgraded to 5.10 - works just fine! I have Linux Mint 18.2 MATE edition. Instructions below:

1. Add Kubuntu Backports repo:

Code: Select all

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
2 Get key for Neon package archive

wget -q -O - http://archive.neon.kde.org/public.key | sudo apt-key add -
3. Add the following line to your /etc/apt/sources.list for Neon repo:

deb http://archive.neon.kde.org/release xenial main
4. Update/upgrade your system

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
5. Now install KDE desktop:

sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop
That is all! Enjoy! :)
Jmthomas87

Post by Jmthomas87 »

Wonder how well this would work with mint-KDE to upgrade it to 5.10?
AlekseyK

Post by AlekseyK »

Jmthomas87 wrote:Wonder how well this would work with mint-KDE to upgrade it to 5.10?
Think very good, as I upgraded to mint-KDE from mint-MATE first, then to 5.10.
jurek ogorek

Post by jurek ogorek »

Jmthomas87 wrote:Wonder how well this would work with mint-KDE to upgrade it to 5.10?
Works well. I upgraded my two computers running "Mint 18.2 KDE Edition" from Plasma 5.8.7 to Plasma 5.10.5

Because Mint KDE doesn't need Plasma to be installed, all the steps are similar to these described by "AlekseyK" - you do not go with:

sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop

You can expect few problems during upgrade, however here you can find description, how to make it fast:

ORIGINAL SYSTEM: Linux Mint 18.2, KDE Edition, Plasma 5.8.7, Kernel 4.11.0-14

terminal:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
$ wget -q -O - http://archive.neon.kde.org/public.key | sudo apt-key add -

Add the following line to your /etc/apt/sources.list for Neon repo:
deb http://archive.neon.kde.org/release xenial main

teminal:
$ sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libpam-kwallet-common : Conflicts: pam-kwallet-init but 4:5.10.5-0neon+16.04+xenial+build38 is to be installed

terminal:
$ sudo apt purge libpam-kwallet-common

$ sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
$ sudo apt dist-upgrade

reboot

terminal:
$ sudo apt upgrade

Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libkf5screen7_4%3a5.10.5-0neon+16.04+xenial+build42_amd64.deb

$ sudo apt purge libkf5screen-bin
$ sudo apt upgrade

reboot
terminal:
$ sudo apt autoremove
$ sudo apt install libpam-kwallet-common
$ sudo apt upgrade

check with Update Manager

All is good !!!

FINAL SYSTEM INFO: Linux Mint 18.2, KDE Edition, Plasma 5.10.5, Kernel 4.11.0-14
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

AlekseyK wrote: I Just did it - upgraded to 5.10 - works just fine! I have Linux Mint 18.2 MATE edition. Instructions below:
Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!
For those using Mint KDE, don't try this at home.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
jurek ogorek

Post by jurek ogorek »

catweazel wrote: Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!
If you don't try you will never get any results :-) It's better to try it at home than on your boss's computer.
Nothing is danger here, even these 30 minutes you have to watch your screen... you can drink good coffee in the meantime !
AlekseyK

Post by AlekseyK »

It is ridiculous, nothing is danger here - that is true!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Well, jurek ogorek and AlekseyK, go ahead. Be my guest. Install KDE 5.10 over your Mint KDE installation. Please don't come crying that you've b0rked your Mint.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
AlekseyK

Post by AlekseyK »

catweazel wrote:Well, jurek ogorek and AlekseyK, go ahead. Be my guest. Install KDE 5.10 over your Mint KDE installation. Please don't come crying that you've b0rked your Mint.
Mint is OK! :)
jurek ogorek

Post by jurek ogorek »

catweazel wrote:Well, jurek ogorek and AlekseyK, go ahead. Be my guest. Install KDE 5.10 over your Mint KDE installation. Please don't come crying that you've b0rked your Mint.
Catweazel,
I don't get it... I wrote clearly that TWO my MINT 18.2 KDE computers were successfully updated from Plasma 5.8 to Plasma 5.10.
No tears so far.
So.. why are you still so skeptical?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

catweazel wrote:
AlekseyK wrote: I Just did it - upgraded to 5.10 - works just fine! I have Linux Mint 18.2 MATE edition. Instructions below:
Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!
Beat me to it.

In the future, please refrain from saying it works and posting instructions before you've adequately tested it. You just installed it, you don't actually know if it really works or not.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
AlekseyK

Post by AlekseyK »

Hoser Rob wrote:Beat me to it.

In the future, please refrain from saying it works and posting instructions before you've adequately tested it. You just installed it, you don't actually know if it really works or not.
Kidding?! Works from July! :lol: :lol: :lol:
jurek ogorek

Post by jurek ogorek »

Hi guys,

I was curious if Plasma 5.10 can be easily installed / upgraded on various Linux systems.
Last posts showed that some people had issues or were not satisfied after upgrading to Plasma 5.10.

Here you have my opinion (just opinion, do not treat it as solution for the problems):

Linux Mint 18.2 KDE Plasma 5.8 - I updated it to Plasma 5.10.5 and found NO issues at all after 4 weeks of everyday use.
Linux Ubuntu 17.04 - I installed Plasma 5.10.5 and found NO issues at all after 5 days of everyday use.
Linux Mint 18.2 MATE - I installed Plasma 5.10.5 and found NO issues at all after 2 days. I even removed MATE Desktop for tests, and still all worked perfectly. (this one I did to see and prove myself that Plasma 5.10 can be installed on every edition)

For me all works great.
Network - OK (wired, wifi)
VPN - OK
Office apps - OK
Printing - OK
System Updates - OK
Installing / compiling, removing - OK
Music, Video - OK

I did not test GAMES... I'm not gaming person, so cannot say anything about it

Please share your opinions or any issues you experience with Plasma 5.10. This forum is to help each other and make Mint the best system !!!
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

I use Mint KDE daily, but I keep an install of KDE NEON in vbox for playing around. I found 5.10 to be quite nice and mature. I look forward to Mint 19.

FYI I never belived the FUD about KDE/plasma being buggy. Plasma and Kwin are far more stable than the GTK DEs.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

jurek ogorek wrote:Last posts showed that some people had issues or were not satisfied after upgrading to Plasma 5.10.
That is precisely the point I was making with my warning...
This forum is to help each other and make Mint the best system !!!
That contradicts your first statement. The point is, we shouldn't post things that can bork people's systems without adding appropriate warnings.
jurek ogorek

Post by jurek ogorek »

Catweazel,

I'm sorry... but you sound like a Windows OS lover :twisted:
Nobody here posted anything what was not tested or "bork people's systems".
If you have experienced any problems using Plasma 5.10, just tell us about it. So far you only made warnings without any clear messages !

I joined this forum to talk about Linux Mint, maybe learn something new...
maybe it's time to do this:
If your problem is fixed, please mark your thread as [SOLVED] by editing the title of the first message in the thread.
and finish this topic.
Last edited by xenopeek on Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: name calling removed
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Testing KDE 5.9/ KDE 5.10 in Linux Mint 18.2 "Sonya"

Post by xenopeek »

I've updated the topic title to make more clear this is a "do this at your own risk" kind of thing.
freddodifferenizente wrote:Worst case scenario, I'll clean-install. It's summer, so I got to find an excuse to be grumpy about.
So this was a pretty decent warning. Don't try this at home unless you would be happy to reinstall Linux Mint if something does break for you.

While some of you have commented it works fine for you for a few weeks, you don't know what programs other people have on their computers that use the KDE libraries (programs that may not be in the upgrade set you installed). Upgrading the KDE libraries could break something in programs (at least the versions installed) that use these libraries and which haven't been compiled for or tested with those newer library versions. Bugs happen.

We're not saying this is guaranteed to cause issues, we're saying all the KDE libraries using programs from the repositories were tested for months to work well with the KDE libraries versions from the repositories. Upgrading the KDE libraries versions and just testing it with the programs you use isn't a substitute for that testing. Hence the request to put a warning of the "do this at your own risk" kind.

As OP hasn't been here for weeks, closing this topic.

Return to “Software & Applications”