LM KDE 18.2 shortcut for move to monitor

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
loochmiester

LM KDE 18.2 shortcut for move to monitor

Post by loochmiester »

I have Linux Mint 18.2 KDE on 64-bit.
I love LM and used Cinnamon in the past but the look/feel of KDE is awesome!
However, it's like learning an new OS again. lol Everything is so different... which is good and challenging for me.

I have dual monitors but use one monitor for a work computer and the other monitor I use with LM. So when a window opens up in the wrong monitor, I want a keyboard shortcut to move it back to the other monitor. I know I can right-click on the title bar of the window to move it back, but if it opens in other monitor I can't see the windows. I can only see and select the window from the panel.

Win-doze has this as Shift+Win + right or left key, depending on which monitor you want it to go to.
Since Linux in general is so tweakable, I thought I could, with your help, make a keyboard shortcut that will do this as well. Unless you know of one already built in that I missed in the shortcuts list.

Anyone have an idea of what I can do to make that happen in LM 18.2 KDE?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: LM KDE 18.2 shortcut for move to monitor

Post by phd21 »

Hi "loochmiester",

I happen to be in Linux Mint KDE 17.3 at the moment, but usually you can go into System Settings, Shortcuts and Gestures, Global Shortcuts, select Kwin, scroll down to the options you want, like "Window to Screen X", click the option and assign a Key combo (ex: "Win+F2" for move app window to screen2) for that, see screenshot below... Or you could use the "Window to Next screen" with the key combo "Win+Right Arrow", or "Window to Previous screen" with the key combo "Win+Left Arrow", etc... Note: If you get a message stating that the key combination you want to use is already in use, then you have to decide whether or not you want to overwrite that existing one, or use a different key combo.

I booted into my Linux Mint KDE 18.x, and it is the same procedure, see screenshot below

Hope this helps ...
KDE_MoveAppWindowToScreenX.jpg
KDE_18_Shortcuts.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
loochmiester

Post by loochmiester »

phd21, thank you very much for you help!
I appreciate your quick response!

Looch
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "loochmiester",

You are welcome...

Don't forget that in KDE you can control a lot, including telling applications to start wherever you want, their size and location on the screen, which screen, etc... This is set by right clicking the application's window's titlebar, selecting "More Actions", Special Window Settings, change the settings, click apply, ok.

Hope this helps ...
KDE_ApplicationWindowControl1sm.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
loochmiester

Post by loochmiester »

I have Linux Mint 18.2 KDE edition now instead of 18.1.
There is no way that I see to change the settings like you show in your screenshots.
If I go to custom shortcuts there's no Kwin settings there.
Is it that we're not allowed to do this anymore? I see where there's a listing for "Window to Next Screen" but there's no settings below it where I can set a hot key combination. See my screenshots below. If you could help with this as well, I'd appreciate it.
Screenshot_20170907_141700.png
Screenshot_20170907_142948.png
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "loochmiester",

I am not using KDE 18.2 yet.

But, you can look at your own screenshot and see the global shortcuts for moving application windows to different monitor screens is on the System Settings vs Kwin before, just click it to change or add your own key combinations.

Your other screenshot is for creating your own shortcuts for whatever you want. I use that to assign key combos for the Dolphin File Manager (Win (Meta Key) +F), and to use a different screenshot, screen capture, application, for the calculator, etc...

Hope this helps ...
KDE_Shortcuts_Custom1.jpg
KDE_Shortcuts_Custom2.jpg

Return to “Software & Applications”