KDE Plasma

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tralaw

KDE Plasma

Post by tralaw »

How to install KDE Plasma 5 in linux mint kde 17.3
thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: KDE Plasma

Post by catweazel »

Doing that will b0rk your system, and it's highly likely that nobody will help you fix it if you do. Plus, AFAIK there is no Plasma 5 PPA for Ubuntu Trusty, so you would have to compile the source code yourself, and to top it all off, you'll have to reinstall all of your applications and redo all of your settings.

Consider doing a backup of your treasured stuff and installing Mint 18.2.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Yeah the "Ubuntu way" is to upgrade from 14.04 LTS to 16.04 LTS. It works fairly well.

Either clean install Mint KDE, or leave it as is.
jimmyinoregon1

Post by jimmyinoregon1 »

I am currently running Mint 8.2. I am considering running Fedora 26 alongside. In looking at KDE Plasma 5 on Fedora 26...I am thrilled at what I see. You might want to do a look-see at Fedora 26 rather than be limited by an old version of Mint as an alternative.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Fedora is NOT suitable for beginners.

I tried it once. The package manager wasn't working. I was told on the forum that it was broken, and that i should have checked the bugzillas first so I would have known.

My reply went something like "if I had checked the bugzillas and found that you put out a point release with a broken package manager what in rte flying frak would make you dorks think I would have installed it in the first place"?

That is a fafrily typical atttitude on their support site, and with Fedora really all you are is a Red Hat beta tester. Never again.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

jimmyinoregon1 wrote:I am currently running Mint 8.2. I am considering running Fedora 26 alongside. In looking at KDE Plasma 5 on Fedora 26...I am thrilled at what I see. You might want to do a look-see at Fedora 26 rather than be limited by an old version of Mint as an alternative.
Why? If you want cutting edge plasma try Kubuntu or KDE Neon. The basic architecture is the same as Mint.
kdemeoz

Post by kdemeoz »

mr_raider wrote:
jimmyinoregon1 wrote:I am currently running Mint 8.2. I am considering running Fedora 26 alongside. In looking at KDE Plasma 5 on Fedora 26...I am thrilled at what I see. You might want to do a look-see at Fedora 26 rather than be limited by an old version of Mint as an alternative.
Why? If you want cutting edge plasma try Kubuntu or KDE Neon. The basic architecture is the same as Mint.
Or Maui, if you want to stay on the *buntu-based side of the creek.

Or openSUSE Tumbleweed, for those not afraid to climb over the mountain into a sunny new valley; needs a bit of an initial learning curve, but is a great Plasma5 experience thereafter,

Return to “Software & Applications”