Setting desktop icons to open with a double-click in KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Setting desktop icons to open with a double-click in KDE

Post by Schultz »

I'd like to install Mint KDE along side of Mint Mate. I booted up from the DVD, and the first thing I noticed that I didn't like was that desktop icons were opened with a single mouse click. So I went into the mouse settings under Hardware and changed it to double click, but it still opened desktop icons with a single click. Is there another setting somewhere to set desktop icons to open with a double click?

Another thing, how do you move the desktop icons on KDE?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Setting desktop icons to open with a double-click in KDE

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Schultz",

System Settings -> Input Devices -> select Mouse on left -> on right Side under Icons, choose Double click, click Apply, exit System Settings.

There are many settings and options in the KDE desktop.

If you right click the desktop, select last option (configure desktop), choose folder layout, pick a wallpaper, click Apply/Ok. Then the desktop will work the way most people expect it to work, and you will have right click option for icons, including sorting, sizing, etc... The default desktop layout is "desktop" where the icons (widgets) have to be manually placed and sized by clicking the icon and holding down for a second or two until you see the options...

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Thanks phd21. Now here's something else. What does that circle thing in between the icon and title (in the Window title bar) do? If I click on it I notice it puts a dot inside the circle.
t.jpg
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Schultz"

That dot is to stick the application window, make this application visible on all virtual desktop workspaces.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... de-windows

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Thanks phd21. Is there a KDE manual somewhere so I don't have to keep posting questions here? I looked for one on the official KDE website but didn't find any. I think I'm about ready to install Mint KDE so I can dual boot. If I really like it, I'll switch permanently to KDE.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Schultz",

You are welcome.

This is actually a tough question with any operating system because most current operating systems can be customized and change over time. As an ex-software developer who also wrote manuals, provided support for operating systems, our software, other software, and all the various hardware to people with varying capabilities, it is difficult to keep up with all the changes with software that is being maintained and updated and provide that in a way that most users can understand. Then, add in all the applications installed or installed by the users and it becomes a daunting task.

I have been using Linux Mint KDE for years now, and I love it, but I still do not know all that it can do. All the Linux Mint and Ubuntu systems have undergone major changes over the past 1 1/2 years with Ubuntu 16.04 + becoming the base for Linux Mint 18.x. and KDE switching from Plasma 4 to Plasma 5. So, most of the documentation for Linux Mint 17.x is outdated for newer versions or wrong, and documentation for the newer versions is incomplete to say the least.

This Linux Mint forum is a wonderful place for people to learn from each other for all operating systems and applications. There are also desktop specific forum sections, including for the KDE desktop.

KDE - Linux Mint Forums
viewforum.php?f=56

Anyone who has used a computer before, can use Linux Mint KDE or any of the other excellent Linux Mint editions right away for most basic computer tasks without even looking at a manual. Click the Menu key, look for an application you want to run (browser, check email, play music, watch video, word processing (office stuff), games, etc...) OR go into the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), and search for and add some new software.

I will say that I still prefer the "classic menu" (Application Menu with cascading style) over the "Application Launcher" style, which can easily be changed by right clicking the Menu Key, and selecting "Alternatives". You can even install new menu "application launcher" options, like "Simple Menu", "Excalibur", etc...

A New KDE Launcher is Available For Installation - Meet Excalibur
https://iwf1.com/a-new-kde-launcher-is- ... excalibur/

I actually experiment with many features while having a good backup to learn a lot of what I know about KDE and the other Linux Mint systems. Otherwise, I do extensive and time consuming research to help the users in this forum and for myself.

Linux Mint has manuals for all of their wonderful various versions on their download and document pages. You can also hit F1, or click Help in toolbars, etc...
https://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php

"linux kde plasma 5 manual" - Google search

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... Bc-w3Mw3_o

Is there a detailed user's documentation for KDE Plasma 5?
https://askubuntu.com/questions/677022/ ... e-plasma-5

KDE UserBase Wiki
https://userbase.kde.org/Welcome_to_KDE_UserBase

Plasma - KDE UserBase Wiki
https://userbase.kde.org/Plasma

Hope this helps ...
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Schultz", & Anyone Else Interested in This,

I just noticed that the only Linux Mint documents for KDE 18 are in German or Portuguese (Brazilian).

So, I went to the link below and converted the manual to English. Unfortunately, the screenshot images are still in German, but hopefully that's a start.
https://www.onlinedoctranslator.com/

Link to Linux Mint KDE 18 Manual in English
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7SC- ... UhJQTNkdk0

KDE Plasma 5 manual English (pdf)
https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kde-work ... esktop.pdf

How to Use KDE Plasma Desktop Like a Pro (plasma 4 but good read)
https://www.linux.com/learn/how-use-kde ... esktop-pro

Hope this helps ...
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Thanks for the links!
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Schultz",

You are welcome ...

Keep in mind that there are many other options and settings available in KDE which I have not seen explained well in most readily available manuals, but Internet searches and this forum can help with that.

If you have further questions, just ask...
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Honestly, I'm beginning to think KDE is just too complex for my tastes. There are things I like about it (mostly visual), but it just seems "too much."
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Schultz",

Why do you think that?

Remember you are very new to the KDE desktop environment, give yourself some time. Just because there are a lot of options and settings does not mean that you need to use them to run Linux Mint KDE easily and effectively, but it sure is nice to know they exist. There is practically nothing that I cannot do in Linux Mint KDE regarding computers.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Thanks for the encouraging words, phd21. But, since my last post I installed a game (SuperTux2) that both my son and I like to play, and the movement seemed kinda choppy (in a fast kind of way, if that makes sense). Right now I'm typing this from my Mate OS; I'm going to go back and check it out one more time, maybe it was just us, but I don't think so. Anyway, in anticipation of being asked for info from inxi -Fxz, here it is (I hope it doesn't matter that I did this while in MATE).

Code: Select all

System:    Host: ***-All-Series Kernel: 4.11.0-14-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: MATE 1.18.0 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine:   System: ASUS product: All Series
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: H81M-C v: Rev X.0x Bios: American Megatrends v: 0804 date: 05/16/2014
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium G3220 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 11972
           clock speeds: max: 3000 MHz 1: 933 MHz 2: 867 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1600x900@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Desktop GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.11.0-14-generic
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 416.1GB (19.4% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: Crucial_CT256MX1 size: 256.1GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: ST3160815AS size: 160.0GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 118G used: 9.6G (9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0
Info:      Processes: 160 Uptime: 33 min Memory: 589.9/3822.6MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
EDIT:
Just went back into KDE and played the game. It is definitely not us, the game's movement is very choppy (or jerky may be a better word). Is there any way to fix this in KDE?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI "Schultz",

You are welcome...

Yes, running the "inxi -Fxzd" from the computer using the operating system in question does matter to some degree.

This applies to all new Linux Mint editions that have just been installed.
- Install all the updates from the Mint Update Manager.
- Check the Driver Manager to see if the "microcode" driver should be installed, and if it has not, install it and reboot.

- Have you installed "ubuntu-restricted-extras" and for KDE "kubuntu-restricted-extras" from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)? If not, I recommend doing that too.

- You might consider updating the Linux Kernel to the 4.12 series using the Mint Update Manager or "Ukuu", I am currently using Linux Kernel 4.12.5 in my KDE 18.1 system.

- I do not see any issues from the results of the "inxi -Fxzd" using Linux Mint "Mate", except that your computer's CPU processor, does not seem to be running in performance mode, see link below.
CPU: Dual core Intel Pentium G3220 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
clock speeds: max: 3000 MHz 1: 933 MHz 2: 867 MHz
Force "Performance" CPU Mode
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=249555&hilit=performance+mode

- I always install a current version of "ffmpeg" as well. I do not know if this will help with your games, but a whole lot of applications do use "ffmpeg" for video and audio processing.

How to Install FFmpeg 3.2 (or newer) via PPA in Ubuntu 16.04 (Linux Mint 18.x, or 17.x)
http://tipsonubuntu.com/2016/11/02/inst ... ntu-16-04/

To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:
Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert), repeat for each command.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jonathonf/ffmpeg-3

sudo apt update && sudo apt install ffmpeg libav-tools x264 x265

- I also run the speed tweaks from this link below (great website)
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/3

Hope this helps ...
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

phd21 wrote:
- Install all the updates from the Mint Update Manager.
One of the first things I do after an OS install.
Check the Driver Manager to see if the "microcode" driver should be installed, and if it has not, install it and reboot.
This looks like a potential problem (see image). Does this mean it's installed but not working? Or that is still needs to be installed?
driver.jpg
Have you installed "ubuntu-restricted-extras" and for KDE "kubuntu-restricted-extras" from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)? If not, I recommend doing that too.
Just did both. No improvement in the game movements.
You might consider updating the Linux Kernel to the 4.12 series using the Mint Update Manager or "Ukuu"
The 4.12 kernel is not listed in the Update Manager.

Here are inxi -Fxzd results while running KDE:

System:    Host: ***-All-Series Kernel: 4.11.0-14-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.8.7 (Qt 5.6.1) Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine:   System: ASUS product: All Series
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: H81M-C v: Rev X.0x Bios: American Megatrends v: 0804 date: 05/16/2014
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium G3220 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           clock speeds: max: 3000 MHz 1: 1363 MHz 2: 1299 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1600x900@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Desktop GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.11.0-14-generic
Network:   Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 931.7GB (11.5% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: Crucial_CT256MX1 size: 256.1GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: ST3160815AS size: 160.0GB ID-3: USB /dev/sdc model: Backup+_BK size: 500.1GB
           ID-4: USB /dev/sdd model: Cruzer_Glide size: 15.5GB
           Optical: /dev/sr0 model: ASUS DRW-24F1ST   b rev: 1.00 dev-links: cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw
           Features: speed: 48x multisession: yes
           audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running
Partition: ID-1: / size: 118G used: 7.5G (7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0
Info:      Processes: 198 Uptime: 19 min Memory: 977.6/3822.6MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Schultz",

1.) You need to install the Microcode, then reboot...

2.) Try installing "Ukuu" and use that to manage the Linux Kernels. (Note: Ignore Kernel updates in the Mint Update Manager if you use this).
Ukuu Makes it Easy to Install Mainline Linux Kernels on Ubuntu, FEBRUARY 14, 2017
- do not install "rc" kernels...
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/02/ukuu ... nel-ubuntu

3.) I forgot to mention that KDE also has graphics rendering (compositor) options which make make a huge difference with games, or advanced desktop graphics like the "cube" animated desktop switcher, etc...

Go to System Settings -> Display & Monitor Options -> Compositor (on left side), on the right side, what do you have for this, Scale Method, Rendering Backend. Can you provide a screenshot? Although your system says GLX Version: 3.0, I think you will have to use OpenGL 2 for the Rendering Backend in the compositor; you can try OpenGL 3.1 option but if you get error messages, switch to OpenGL2, click appy/ok.

4.) I could not find SuperTux2, only SuperTux and ExtremeTux, and some other "racing games"?

Update: SuperTux shows up as SuperTux2 in my menu and works fine, only I do not know how to play it.

While searching for instructions on how to play this,
I found a new version of this SuperTux2 game (0.5.1), see link below, you can even get new levels buy donating to the developers...
https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux

Before you can install this newer developer version 0.5.1, you must first remove any previous versions. You can even create new levels with this version if you want (from what I read) ...

sudo apt-get purge supertux supertux-data
For Newer version of SuperTux - Go to the bottom of the webpage in the link below, click "Grab binary packages directly", and select

Packages for xUbuntu 16.04 (Linux Mint 18.x) supertux2_0.5.1_amd64.deb (64-bit) OR supertux2_0.5.1_i386.deb (32-bit)
- Save the file somewhere like your downloads folder and double click it to install it.
OR
Packages for xUbuntu 14.04 (Linux Mint 17.x) supertux2_0.5.1_amd64.deb (64-bit) OR supertux2_0.5.1_i386.deb (32-bit) - Save the file somewhere like your downloads folder and double click it to install it.

https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... =supertux2
These are links for instructions for SuperTux that I have found
User Manual
http://supertux.lethargik.org/wiki/User_Manual

SuperTux User Manual (For v0.5.0)
https://github.com/SuperTux/supertux/wiki/User-Manual

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I installed Microcode, rebooted, no difference. In the Software Manager, the game is simply called SuperTux, but once installed, in the menu it is called SuperTux2. Here's the screenshot you asked for.
Untitled.jpg
FTR, just for a test I unticked "Enable compositor on startup," rebooted, and still had bad video on the game.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Schultz",

I have been updating my last reply, please re-read it.

Okay, the screen shot did not seem fullscreen, but it looks good. Try changing the "Animation Speed" slider by moving (dragging) the slider to the left one segment for faster, click apply, try the game again. If still a problem move it to the left one more segment or move it to the right by segment marks to slow it down...

Try the other suggestions too.

I have been playing around with the original version of SuperTux and now the new version, and both worked well and smoothly on my system which has very similar hardware to yours (actually my computer hardware is older and less powerful).

Hope this helps ...
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

phd21 wrote:
Try changing the "Animation Speed" slider by moving (dragging) the slider to the left one segment for faster, click apply, try the game again. If still a problem move it to the left one more segment or move it to the right by segment marks to slow it down...
I tried every setting in Animation Speed. Nothing helped. I will install kernel 4.12 to see if that works, but I doubt it as I'm using the same kernel in both Mate and KDE right now and I don't have this problem in Mate.

EDIT:
Tried to update to 4.12 but got an error message. Saw there was a 4.13, so I tried that and that installed okay. Rebooted, tried the game, same problem. I'm not so sure I want to try all of the rest of the suggestions. They are the same as in my Mate install, so I can't see how upgrading ffmpeg will change anything; as well as force "Performance." (And I have to admit, the last one scares me.)
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Before starting your game (in KDE) press alt-shift-f12 and then run the game. See if it helps.

After running the game press alt-shift-f12 again.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Schultz",

As I already have stated, the game works perfectly on my system.

Did you try the new version of the game?

1.) Installing a current "ffmpeg" will not hurt anything, just the opposite.

2.) Using "performance mode" just means your system will run at its full potential. What scares you about doing this?

3.) Maybe using better Intel video graphics driver? I have not tried this yet, but I will.

Here’s a guide for installing the Intel graphics driver in Ubuntu 16.04, Posted 13 Jan 2017
http://www.techzim.co.zw/2017/01/heres- ... ntu-16-04/

Intel Graphics Installer Updated To Version 2.0.4, Install Intel Drivers In Ubuntu/Linux Mint
http://www.noobslab.com/2017/04/intel-g ... ed-to.html

4.) There is nothing wrong with staying with great Linux Mint Mate edition either, if that is what you want to do.

Return to “Software & Applications”