Does rsibreak cause your computer to crash when you close laptop lid during a break?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Does rsibreak cause your computer to crash when you close laptop lid during a break?

Post by pepperminty »

I have installed rsibreak, a KDE app, to help me take forced AFK breaks. It is helping me very much since I installed a week ago.

However, when it's on a break and I close the laptop lid, the timer is stuck. The mouse cursor moves when I move it, but otherwise, nothing gets the timer counting down. I've pressed Escape and other keys, but it's stuck. This happens on my XFCE Mint 18.2. I'm writing in this KDE subforum to check if anybody using KDE Mint experiences the same problem.

If you have rsibreak, could you please close your laptop lid when it puts you on a break? (Of course, make sure that your computer is set to Suspend when the lid closes.)

If you don't have rsibreak, may I ask you to install it and try it this small experiment? Thanks.

Sun Sep 17 09:20:03 PDT 2017 UPDATE: Just an update.
It's not just my Mint 18.2 XFce laptop. It's also my Cinnamon 18.2 laptop.

Both have issues when I close the lid (and so suspend the computer) during a break.

But it's not just when I close the lid. It's also when the monitor sleeps while on a break (without my touching/closing the lid).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Does rsibreak cause your computer to crash when you close laptop lid during a break?

Post by Hoser Rob »

Unfortunately KDE apps use different libraries than other Mint DEs and don't necessarily work very well in the other ones. For example, I've never been able to get Okular to work properly in a non KDE environment.

This is really annoying because it's the only native Linux pdf reader I've used that isn't a total POS. However, there are other alternatives for rsibreak and I'd suggest you try one of those.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Does rsibreak cause your computer to crash when you close laptop lid during a break?

Post by pepperminty »

Hoser Rob wrote:However, there are other alternatives for rsibreak and I'd suggest you try one of those.
Are there? Please suggest them. I tried to look for it, and even asked our Mint community for help. See my post viewtopic.php?f=47&t=253431 . rsibreak was the only good option. Please show me I'm wrong.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I'm not sure whether Workrave ticks all your boxes, but it's certainly working well for me, and running well on my computer. Have you tried that one? It's in the repos.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

Moem wrote:I'm not sure whether Workrave ticks all your boxes, but it's certainly working well for me, and running well on my computer. Have you tried that one? It's in the repos.
Moem,
I've just installed WorkRave. So far, it looks like it ticks all my boxes. I closed the lid to my Cinnamon 18.2 laptop when it was on a break and when I opened the lid, the break was gone (coz break duration was short). So it looks like it doesn't have the "laptop lid" problem.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

pepperminty wrote:I've just installed WorkRave. So far, it looks like it ticks all my boxes.
Well, that's nice and unexpected! I did not suggest it earlier because I thought it might not be 'tough' enough for your liking, but if it works for you, that's great.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”