Gloria KDE CE. When?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kage

Re: Gloria KDE CE. When?

Post by kage »

oke!
keepin' my fingers crossed!!!

thnx for the info guys!

greetz
kage
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I found two minor issues, one is cosmetic and most people might not even notice it. The other issue is with a feature and I know it can be fixed. Your patience will be rewarded when this release goes public, this is one of the very best KDE 4 systems I have looked at!
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

exploder,
I've been checking the mirrors two, three times a day ! :mrgreen:
And then you tease us with this! :evil: . . . you are an evil sadist! . . :lol:

Can't wait! Thanks for the update!

regards, Richard
tuxdude

Post by tuxdude »

Patience grasshoppers patience.
The rewards will be great in the end.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

richyrich, funny! Just trying to keep everyone informed on how things are progressing. :mrgreen:
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

So exciting!! Can't wait to get my hands on it. :mrgreen:
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Mathius Quest wrote:So exciting!! Can't wait to get my hands on it. :mrgreen:

Yep! Me too.

I can stand Gnome but i am a KDE fan and no matter if it still can't be so stable as we want it to be.
The KDE development team are doing pretty good and we always have an option to upgrade
to a new version of it with PPA - Open.

As soon as KDE CE 7 Gloria is released i assume it could be released as a definitive version (stable-Final)
Why? Just a few usual bugs (KDE) or nothing is going to change from one RC1 release to the Stable One.
I will not complain about lack of testing. They did it (Exploder, Clem, Husse or any one else).
A New ISO will be generate or perhaps the ISO remains the same. Save us time, save us no more delay.

If someone disagree, alerting for the quality control of the product...testing, feedback and so on - OK
Different hardware behavior and plus a small list of possible bugs that didn't appear on that testing period - OK

OK - It's up to Linux Mint Team . They have their own rules of conducting the releases.

For Gnome Main Edition i will continue running Mint 7 x64 Gloria Edition (excellent).
I will erase from my hard drive Mint Gnome Main Edition 32 bit 7 Gloria after putting my hands on KDE CE 7 "Gloria"
Mint KDE CE 6 Felicia has vanished in the haze a month ago for me. Outdated.

Rgds
Roberto :?: :mrgreen:
brute

Post by brute »

Will there be an upgrade notice when RC1 is released? Or will it have to be a full install?

Also, with KDE4.3 being released, will this be in the final version? I am using version 6 and to be honest have had zero problems, so if 7 is as great, Then I to am anticipating its release date. I know everyone is asking, but since the testing phase is about over, are we any closer to a date yet? Thanks....and kepp up the great work!!!! I am luvin' it!
Go2doug

Post by Go2doug »

brute wrote:Will there be an upgrade notice when RC1 is released? Or will it have to be a full install?

Also, with KDE4.3 being released, will this be in the final version? I am using version 6 and to be honest have had zero problems, so if 7 is as great, Then I to am anticipating its release date. I know everyone is asking, but since the testing phase is about over, are we any closer to a date yet? Thanks....and kepp up the great work!!!! I am luvin' it!
Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember any recent versions of Mint being released as "Release Candidates". If they were, maybe they were only publicly available for a few days before the final ISO was available, which is why I missed the RCs.

Earlier in this thread Boo stated that Mint 7 KDE would be released with KDE v4.2.4. However, one would hope that it would be relatively painless to upgrade Mint from 4.2.4 to KDE 4.3 when the time comes. Hopefully it will be as easy as enabling a certain repository in /etc/apt/sources.list.

I used Mint 6 KDE (with KDE version 4.2.2) and it's still missing a lot of the functionality that made KDE 3.5.10 so fantastic. If KDE 4.2.4/4.3 still haven't hit the "sweet spot" yet, I'm going to make a list of features and capabilities that were present in KDE 3.5.10 but are missing from KDE 4.x, and send this list to the KDE developers and hope for the best. Because at this point in time, there is no way I'm leaving Mint 5 KDE (3.5.10) and PCLinuxOS 2009 (also KDE 3.5.10) for any KDE 4 distribution.
mdshaver

Post by mdshaver »

What package manager will be used? I briefly tried Kubuntu 9.04 and did not like KPackageKit at all. Will you consider using Synaptic or Adept?
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

Go2doug wrote: Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember any recent versions of Mint being released as "Release Candidates". If they were, maybe they were only publicly available for a few days before the final ISO was available, which is why I missed the RCs.
Mint always has an RC that runs for quite some time to the public before finalizing it. Just look at the announcement threads to get an idea of the scheduling of RC's versus final releases.
mdshaver wrote:What package manager will be used? I briefly tried Kubuntu 9.04 and did not like KPackageKit at all. Will you consider using Synaptic or Adept?
Both Adept and Synaptic are easily attainable from the CLI with a simple command.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install adept && sudo apt-get install synaptic
But as of right now, I am running the x64 version of Kubuntu with KDE 4.2.4 because it is very stable and works great. I ran 4.2.90 for a bit, and it was stable for the most part, but there were a few issues that made me drop back down to 4.2.4 until 4.3 is finalized later this month.

KPackageKit has its up and downs, but for me it hasn't been an issue.
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

Any news updates about the KDE CE release? I just can't wait anymore to test it myself. I can't even sleep at night..... lol :lol:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I tested a new developmental iso today, there is one bug remaining. We will have to wait and see what Clem wants to do. Boo has been trying very hard to get the RC ready.
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

exploder wrote:I tested a new developmental iso today, there is one bug remaining. We will have to wait and see what Clem wants to do. Boo has been trying very hard to get the RC ready.
Thanks for the update exploder, it's appreciated. :) I know Boo and the rest of you are trying to get a solid rocking release, hope that the bug is easy to fix.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

so is there a 64bit version?
Sorry, there is not a 64 bit version of this release.
Dalamar

Post by Dalamar »

Perhaps an easy way to upgrade to 4.3 is another option.

Man, the wait is unbearable!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Care to tell us what the one bug was? Is it related to the intel video bugs in Jaunty? If it is only one bug and not that serious why not release this in RC form for the rest of us. Or is it that bad still? Whatever the case, I respect the judgment from Clem, Boo, and the other developers of Mint to release a top notch OS.

Also, will this Mint 7 KDE CE have KDE 4.2.4, or will it have 4.3 RC1? If they wait much longer (4 weeks), KDE 4.3 will be released. And it is a lot better than 4.2 (air theme, folderview, improved plasma to name a few).
The bug is with "Print To PDF", Clem said it worked for him though. The KDE CE has KDE 4.2.4 and runs very well! Boo has done an excellent job on Mint 7 KDE. The features and software selection are great, this release is worth the wait! The Intel video bug is still present but I have experimented and found what I think is a solid work around that can be applied. (I use Intel graphics myself.) We will have to wait and see what Clem finds and what he wants to do. The 3 person testing process provides the quality you expect and all of us want the release to be the very best it can be.
Last edited by exploder on Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay514

Post by Jay514 »

Boo,
A question concering X64 KDE, would it be possable to upgrade or make the modifications for the 32bit version,so it would be 64bit. Maby a code upgrade package or similar, or even instructions. All future Processers will be 64x or more, just as the upgrade too 32bit from 16bit was made, so eventually we will all need a good x64 OS.
Maby I'm thinking wrong, but if they allready have Kubuntu X64, then we should be able to apply the same code changes to the up-coming release in order to have an x64 of LinuxMint KDE? Just a thought.Thank you in advance Boo & the Team, for the great efforts & the Last " Kick Butt " KDE - CE distro that we are still running.
I very much look forward too this release.
:mrgreen:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Some good news for all those that have been anxiously awaiting this release.

http://twitter.com/linux_mint

enjoy! :mrgreen:
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

Cool!!! Thanks again exploder. By the way, in your previous post you said that KDE CE will come with 2.4.2....?? Darn, that's old man. :lol:
I bet it comes with KDE 4.2.4. :mrgreen:

Return to “Software & Applications”