Icon in all windows, what might it be and how to lose it?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RW-One

Icon in all windows, what might it be and how to lose it?

Post by RW-One »

Hello Gentlemen,

I have someone running 17.3, and on the top left of every window (Chrome used as an example) he has an icon which seems do to nothing when clicked except change the icon.

Can anyone tell me what this might be to, and how to lose it?

Images attached, chrome icon on left which is at upper left of his window and the one we're interested in is to the right.

Thanks to the community beforehand, you're all great!

Marc
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBean

Re: Icon in all windows, what might it be and how to lose it?

Post by MintBean »

Which edition is he running? (Cinnamon, MATE...)

Did he install any new software just prior to this appearing? If it's Cinnamon, I would try disabling all applets and extensions to see if they're the culprit.
RW-One

Post by RW-One »

Well ... KDE, hence in this section.

I've no clue (Sorry) as to what he may have installed last... I'm hoping someone knows the icon itself ...
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

It's been years since I touched KDE, but it might be a toggle to make the window visible on all workspaces
RodJ

Post by RodJ »

I presume you are referring to the window title bar or decoration of each window. I'm using Mint 18.2 KDE so there might be slight differences in the wording, but try this:

Go to System Settings > Appearance section > Application Style > Window Decorations. There you will see the various decorations installed and which one is currently selected. Choose the Buttons tab. Here you can click and drag the buttons from the example Titlebar. You should be able to drag the 'offending' button off the bar. I think the button in question is the "On all desktops" button. This button toggles the window to appear just on the current desktop or on all desktops (if there is more than one virtual desktop defined).
RW-One

Post by RW-One »

Thanks all!

I'll have him try that.

Return to “Software & Applications”