Konsole issues

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TechnoJunky

Konsole issues

Post by TechnoJunky »

This has happened before, but I don't recall how long it's been, and I think I just rebooted and the issue went away. However this time, it's sticking around even after a reboot. So first, I want to say that I have an older box, bought around 2003, core duo - 3 ghz, 2 gigs ram, up to date Mint 18.2. What happened is that I was using Konsole, then closed it. I tried to reopen but it wouldn't. The app showed up in the task bar for a moment then diappeared. Tried a couple times, to no avail. I then used Xterm and found that Konsole had an active PID, which I killed. Then I relaunched Konsole and it came up as it should. I then closed it and reopened. Seems fine. I closed it again and this time the CPU spiked on one of my cores. Looked at Top and it was Konsole, even though it was closed. I killed the PID, CPU dropped back down. Ran Konsole again, closed, reopened but it wouldn't open again. Killed the PID, it reopened and upon closing spiked the CPU again. I assumed something was wrong with something in RAM so I rebooted to ensure all was clean. However, after reboot the same issue are continuing. Right now Konsole, closed, has been spiking the CPU, at 100%, for 22 minutes. Any ideas on how to fix this, other than just using Xterm from now on?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thunder422

Re: Konsole issues

Post by thunder422 »

There's a couple of things to try. First look in the log files to see if there are any errors that might identify the problem. On KDE4, the log file to look at for konsole is ~/.cache/upstart/startkde.log. The other thing you could do is start konsole from xterm and see if there are any error messages. I usually to this from konsole, but you can't do that since konsole is the program with the problem.

Whenever I see a program start to misbehave, I think that maybe its configuration file got boogered. This use to happen frequently with vlc. Deleting its config file corrected the problem (the problem I had was that vlc started opening full screen and I didn't want it to). The problem with deleting the config file is that you then have to reconfigure the program. Since this happened often, I made a backup of the config file after reconfiguring it. Then when it got corrupted, I just replaced it with the backup. Fortunately, this stopped happening with later versions.

For konsole on KDE4, its config file is ~/.kde/share/config/konsolerc.
TechnoJunky

Re: Konsole issues

Post by TechnoJunky »

I couldn't find the log file though, I don't have a upstart directory under .cache. In my first post, I said that Konsole was taking 100% of one of the CPUs, I killed it. Then it wouldn't open after that. I found the config file and deleted it. It still wouldn't open. I needed to reboot for another reason this morning and now Konsole seems to be just fine. It opens and closes and when closed it's not running in the background. So maybe it was a bad .conf file. I opened it before I deleted it, and it looked fine, but who knows. Thanks for the tip, hopefully I won't have to use it again, but if I do, I know where to look.

Return to “Software & Applications”