[SOLVED]Web browsers while scrolling vertical flickering or 'jello' efect

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jagger

[SOLVED]Web browsers while scrolling vertical flickering or 'jello' efect

Post by Jagger »

Hello,
I am on nvidia GTX970 with i7 4790k

Using LM 18.3 KDE nvidia driver 384.90
On every web browser Fox, Opera, Vivaldi when scrolling up and down there is annoying efect - line one by one (but one at the time) is flickering or how to say - is kind 'jello' efect is something look like viewing this line through a loupe by just a piece of sec or hover over effect in the middle of the screen while scrolling up or down.

Is there any way to fix it.
Thanks in advance
Jagger
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 8 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Web browsers while scrolling vertical flickering or 'jello' efect

Post by catweazel »

See this tutorial
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Jagger

Post by Jagger »

Hello Catweazel,
I just tried the tutorial you mentioned and now I am in deep s... :)
I have just finished the 3rd step and after reboot - system crashed!!!
When I am trying to run through Grub after a few seconds I see logo of Mint and couple green dots and that is it. When I was trying to run system with kernel direct launch after first listing I have got black screen.
What could you advise me now ? :):)
Thanks in advance.
regards
Jagger
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Go into recovery mode and rename /etc/X11/xorg.conf

eg mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.bad

You should be fine to reboot after that.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Jagger

Post by Jagger »

The problem is that Grub started the system without showing any menu so I could not hit recovery mode. However it does not matter any more. I had another linux on my machine and I used it to rename file as you advised but it did not bring any effect. It was fresh install so I set up the system once again.
I partially solved the problem -- I have noticed that on machine with win7 this wierd behave happens as well. This is caused by newest browsers setting - smooth.scroll. if it is disabled for example in firefox hitting 'about:config' in the url bar and setting smooth.scroll disable above mentioned effect is gone. However the scrolling the page now seems to be little bit sharpen.
Windows 10 cope with theese settings - somehow.
Now the question is there any settings to get for smooth scrolling the page without this line hoverover effect in the middle of the screen?
keep warm!
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

Now the question is there any settings to get for smooth scrolling the page without this line hoverover effect in the middle of the screen?
Jagger, what you're experiencing is called 'screen tearing'. I neither use KDE neither have an NVidia card myself, but i'd start by checking those out...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NV ... en_tearing
https://www.cmscritic.com/how-to-fix-nv ... nd-others/
Jagger

Post by Jagger »

@thx-1138
Thanks a lot. This solved my problem.
@catweazel
Thank you both guys - for your time and support.

By the way I have just one more question if you do not mind,
I am struggling with with one more issue. After successfully set the EHC1, EHC2 and XHC disabled (permanently) I am still able to wake up the system just moving my wireless mouse or by just pushing the button what drives me nuts. Is it anything to usb power management relation??
best regards & thanks a lot.

Return to “Software & Applications”