Dolphin Launcher

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gabriele
Level 1
Level 1

Dolphin Launcher

Post by Gabriele »

Hi,

first of all let me say that I have an Italian version and therefore words can be not clear because of my traslation.

I tried to create a Luncher In desktop and I modified the properties of the Launcher and now Dolphin do not open from the menu that open on the left with all the function of the system. I tried to modified the Name of the properties in Dolphin, but the system tell me "impossible to find the Dolphin. Those boot from Launcher and from Menu-System- (File Manager). Can you please tell me the correct set. Just tell me what on your pc.

Thanks

GM
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Gabriele
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Dolphin Launcher

Post by Gabriele »

Hi,

I have found is dolphin lower case and not Dolphin
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

3 ways to find a file:

1. If you start a terminal and type the command type -a dolphin, this will show which directory in your PATH contains the file.

Display your PATH either, echo $PATH or a little fancier (and easier to read) echo -e ${PATH//:/"\n"}.

2. There is another terminal command locate -i Dolphin | grep -i bin. (NOTE: I capitalized Dolphin to show that the search is case insensitive. The program is dolphin.) There is a daemon that runs (updatedb) that maintains a database of file locations. The command that searches the database is called locate. The -i is for case insentive search. I piped the output of locate to the input of the command grep to search for files that contain "bin". Executable files are normally in directories with a name that contains "bin".

3. Last, doesn't the KDE menu have a search. Type dolphin in the text search box.

Desktop Launcher:

If you right-click the menu item for Dolphin, there will be a sub-menu that has an option to "Add to Desktop".

If widgets are unlocked (right-click your desktop, there is either a "Lock Widgets" and "Unlock Widgets"), and you right-click the KDE menu, there is an option "Edit Applications". On the left side, if you expand System, you will see the Dolphin KDE menu entry. On the right side click Advanced and you will see what command is executed.

In the above case, a desktop file should have been created in $HOME/Desktop. If it only created a symbolic link, remove (rm) the link and copy (cp) the file and then make any changes to your local copy.

Sometimes if you don't know where a file has been created you can do something like find $HOME -iname "*dolphin*" or find $HOME -mmin -5. All these commands have man pages (documentation).

KDE 5 has changed multiple times where files get stored and it is all different than KDE4. So I'm still trying to wrap my brain around all this.

If your dolphin desktop file does not end up in $HOME/Desktop, it may be in $HOME/.local/share/plasma_icons/. It all depends on whether your desktop layout is "Desktop Containment" or "Folder View". You can see this option if you right-click your desktop and select Configure Desktop.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Gabriele",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Simple to fix - Just right-click the menu key, select "Edit Applications", under "System" category click "Dolphin", on the "General" tab on right change it to look like the screenshot below, and save the changes. Tip1: You can also create a shortcut key to a menu item in the Advanced tab at bottom click input button, click shortcut key(s) you want like "Ctrl+D" while editing the menu ...

Tip2: You can right-click any menu item and select "Add to Desktop" to create a desktop shortcut launcher icon, or "Add to Panel" to create a quick launch icon in the system tray panel.

Hope this helps ...
Dolphin_Menu_Settings1.jpg
Dolphin_Menu_Settings2.jpg
Dolphin_Menu_Add_To_Desktop1.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Software & Applications”