(SOLVED) pimsettingexporter AWOL on LM Sonya KDE.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anarchosaxophonist

(SOLVED) pimsettingexporter AWOL on LM Sonya KDE.

Post by anarchosaxophonist »

Firstly, I would like to express my disappointment that LM is dropping KDE, particularly now, where I as a KDE newbie am starting to love it. My concrete problem is that I would like to import my personal info from a laptop running KDE Neon. I have looked through both Synaptic as well as Software Manager, but can't find any pimsettingexporter or org.kde.pimsettingexporter. Interestingly, I have noted that I can't find Korganizer or KAddressBook in the application launcher menu, but both are listed as installed in the Software Manager. I am using a fresh install of LM Sonya KDE
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: pimsettingexporter AWOL on LM Sonya KDE.

Post by Hoser Rob »

anarchosaxophonist wrote:Firstly, I would like to express my disappointment that LM is dropping KDE, particularly now, where I as a KDE newbie am starting to love it.
I agree ... I used KDE for some time on my laptop and swiched back recently. The only reason I switched from KDE was because my netbook isn't powerful enough for it so I used Xfce on both for a while. I'll switch to Kubuntu or Neon eventually. Probably Kubuntu ... Ubuntu user support is just so far beyond other distros' it's just ridiculous.
My concrete problem is that I would like to import my personal info from a laptop running KDE Neon. I have looked through both Synaptic as well as Software Manager, but can't find any pimsettingexporter or org.kde.pimsettingexporter.
I'm using my netbook running 17.3 Xfce now and it isn't in the repos for me either. Are you running 17 or 18?
Interestingly, I have noted that I can't find Korganizer or KAddressBook in the application launcher menu, but both are listed as installed in the Software Manager. I am using a fresh install of LM Sonya KDE
SImple ... not all KDE apps are installed by default. Don't think you have to use all KDE apps in KDE. More often than not there's a GTK based app that's better, and better maintained. Okular is a notable exception ... it's the only Linux pdf reader I've ever used that wasn't rubbish. Also Dolphin, which is by far the best Linux file manager I've tried. GTK based apps are a lot better integrated in KDE than vice versa too.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
anarchosaxophonist

Re: pimsettingexporter AWOL on LM Sylvia KDE.

Thanks for the quick reply. I should note here that I am using LM 18.3 Sylvia and not Sonya.

I think you are missing a fundamental point - when the software manager states that a program is installed, I normally expect to find it in the application launch menu. Korganizer and KAddressBook are according to software management, installed. However, neither program is in the application launch menu. That is not normal behavior for any distro.
anarchosaxophonist

I have now done some more digging and discovered that I can run both Korganizer, KAddressBook and pimsettingexporter from the terminal. I was able to import my data, which is what I set out to do. However, Korganizer, KAddressBook and pimsettingexporter and probably other bits still do not show up in the application launch menu for some weird reason.

Any suggestions on how to get Korganizer, KAddressBook, pimsettingexporter, etc. into the application launch menu?
anarchosaxophonist

Hmmm. I have solved this myself. The problem is that the items are hidden from the user. In my opinion, counter intuitive. The solution is to access the KDE Menu Editor and uncheck the "hidden entry" boxes for the items that you want to be able to see.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: (SOLVED) pimsettingexporter AWOL on LM Sonya KDE.

Post by Hoser Rob »

I don't actually use any of those apps myself but they may be used by something else, which would explain them not coming up on the app list.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "anarchosaxophonist",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Since Linux Mint 18.x based on Ubuntu 16.04 came out, KDE merged Korganizer and Kaddressbook, etc... into "Kontact" PIm under the Office Menu. Obviously, KDE users can also access Kaddressbook through Kmail too.

I also noticed with newer Linux Mint KDE and other newer KDE distros, that they are hiding some KDE options that are installed??? I have no idea why, I do not understand that either?

I think KDE is an incredible operating system that has been around for over 20 years, and Linux Mint's version of it has been superb. I also think that their well integrated applications are excellent.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.

Return to “Software & Applications”