Two different browsers open downloaded files in same wrong program

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RonC

Two different browsers open downloaded files in same wrong program

Post by RonC »

Both Firefox and Chrome have started opening downloaded files in Mirage, when 'Open Containing Folder' icon is clicked, in browser's download context menu. Because two completely different browsers are affected in the same way, I suspect a problem in KDE settings, possibly a corrupt mime entry -- but where to look, and under which entry?
:?: How can I get this icon to run Dolphin, as it used to?

This is on the system running 17.3
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Two different browsers open downloaded files in same wrong program

Post by Flemur »

Ah, the wonders of the freedesktop.org mime implementation ...

This might be the answer:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... ing-folder
basically add
"inode/directory=nautilus.desktop;" (or whatever file-browser)
to
~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

Or...when that doesn't work, modify the system file
/usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "RonC"

It would help to be more specific, like what type of files are you downloading? Can you provide a screenshot or two?

Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
RonC

Post by RonC »

Flemur wrote:...
basically add
to
Hi @Flemur, @phd21, thanks to both for the rapid responses!

Actually, the boldfaced part in Flemur's reply, inode/directory, was the key factor in solving it.

I did it without (directly) editing system files, through File Associations - System Settings. Then, inode/directory goes into the Configure File Associations box. On the right-hand panel, Dolphin was moved to the top of the list, headed Application Preference Order. For reasons unknown, Mirage had gotten to the top of the list and Dolphin was in third place.

After fixing the sequence, the problem disappeared.
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

RonC wrote:Both Firefox and Chrome have started opening downloaded files in Mirage, when 'Open Containing Folder' icon is clicked, in browser's download context menu. Because two completely different browsers are affected in the same way, I suspect a problem in KDE settings, possibly a corrupt mime entry -- but where to look, and under which entry?
:?: How can I get this icon to run Dolphin, as it used to?

This is on the system running 17.3
I'm on LM 17.3/KDE too, and I think I agree :-) I wouldn't say corrupted, but perhaps it has changed to a value you do not want.

Since you specifically mentioned Firefox, go to Firefox's Preference (File -> Edit -> Preferences). This next step may vary depending on the version of FF you have. You are looking for Applications. See the image. I'm thinking you will see Mirage on the right hand side and the file type on the left hand side. If you select the line, and click the down arrow on the right hand side, there will be a dropdown. See image again. Change it to "Always Ask" or "Use Other' and select dolphin. Repeat the process in Chrome.

I think the above will solve your issue, otherwise you are looking at KDE Menu -> System Settings -> File Associations.

First, I don't know Mirage (I use gwenview) , but does it have any preferences that says make default or use to open files of some type. If not, continue.

Go to the command line and type:file --mime-type FILE, where FILE is one of the files that Mirage is opening.

Now go to System Settings -> File Associations and look for that mimetype in the left hand side. You can expand the tree by clicking on the right pointing arrow. When you find it, click it and the right hand side will change. There will be a list of programs. You can either change the order, add, or remove.

You can get directly to this kde4 module via the command: kcmshell4 filetypes &.

Here's an image of KDE's file association module.
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

Flemur wrote:Ah, the wonders of the freedesktop.org mime implementation ...

This might be the answer:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... ing-folder
basically add
to

Or...when that doesn't work, modify the system file
/usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache
I wonder, if in KDE4, if SystemSettings -> Default Applications -> File Manager would have changed that (inode). HHmmm.... Tried it. Yep. :-) I looked at inode.. ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list. It was dolphin, selected gwenview, looked again and it was gwenview.

Just a little tip I find educational. When I make a config change, I'll immediately execute the command find -newermt "2 minute ago" to see what files were updated. In this case it was ./.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list.

Update:
I just have to say: This question, the ability to easily read text config files, the enjoyment of jumping in and finding something, learning, growing, and the answer is soooo much better than Window's Registry and the confinement. I do feel, in some sense, it may be changing... but I'm going to keep looking and supporting for the freedom.

Thank you for the question and the responses. It was fun.
Last edited by lmuserx4849 on Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

lmuserx4849 wrote:... Just a little tip I find educational. When I make a config change, I'll immediately execute the command find -newermt "2 minute ago" to see what files were updated. In this case it was ./.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list.
Nice!

I use ! -path and ! -name to eliminate entries from ~/.cache, my browser profiles, and other files and folders I'm not interested in.

Return to “Software & Applications”