Mint KDE 18.3 Transparent Menu/Taskbar Question

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
megosdog

Mint KDE 18.3 Transparent Menu/Taskbar Question

Post by megosdog »

Hey all, I know I'm supposedly new, but I've actually been a huge fan of Mint since it's dawn, and just recently moved back to Mint after the latest updates of Kubuntu made it completely unusable. (I moved away for a while for technical reasons I'll spare you of) So far the install went well, and I'm honestly shocked at how fast I got it setup. In times past getting a new desktop up from scratch usually took me a good day or so what with all the tweaks and whatnot I had to do to get it usable. Mint? Two hours and I'm already done. I'm impressed. Fastest desktop setup I've ever done. Two big thumbs up to the devs.

Now, that brings me to the one final thing that I need help tweaking out. I'm running Oxygen as my desktop theme, which I've always been a fan of, however I can't seem to find how to remove the transparency on the menu and the taskbar. That's honestly annoying as all getout to me. I need the taskbar to be solid, and not in any way transparent, as well as the menu. What setting in the newer KDE do I need to adjust to make that transparency go away? Even if I've gotta hack config files to do it I'd like to make it go away. Does anyone know?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mint KDE 18.3 Transparent Menu/Taskbar Question

Post by catweazel »

If you don't want a transparent menu and task bar then you'll have to use another theme. There are plenty to download on the Desktop Themes tab.

The only other option is to edit the theme yourself.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
megosdog

Post by megosdog »

Yeah, that's kinda what I was afraid of. Thanks for the info. :(
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

megosdog wrote:Yeah, that's kinda what I was afraid of. Thanks for the info. :(
You're welcome.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
megosdog

Post by megosdog »

FOUND IT! Decided on a whim to look around today to see if I could find what I was after just in case there was a small chance that this could be fixed, and I found something that worked. By habit, as I tend to be a performance junkie rather than a visual "wow" kinda person, I always turn off EVERYTHING under desktop effects. Well, upon doing some reading I found that if you turn on blur and high contrast it would fix the problem, and sure enough it did. The penal isn't 100% opaque, but it's a far cry better than it was. I can now actually see and read my taskbar buttons whereas I couldn't before. So I think this has it fixed well enough to make me happy for now. :)

Return to “Software & Applications”