Frustrating issue with Kontact icon bar

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
psrch

Frustrating issue with Kontact icon bar

Post by psrch »

I have been trying with no success to solve an issue I'm having with Kontact. At first, everything seems fine. However, after a while, the icon bar at the left seems to get messed up. The separator between the icons and the folder list becomes very wide, messing up the icon bar.

Image.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on, or how to fix it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
orschiro
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Frustrating issue with Kontact icon bar

Post by orschiro »

You mean the icons are not fully visible? Can you drag the sidebar horizontally and make sufficient space? Does it stick?
psrch

Post by psrch »

Thanks for the reply. In short, Yep, Nope, and Nope.

The screen shot is exactly what it looks like; the vertical separation between the icons and the folder list seems to be too wide, in the direction of the icons, so that the icons are covered. I can't drag it horizontally, so there's nothing to "stick", if that makes sense.

I do know this happens on ANY distro on which I use KDE on this laptop - I've tried Kubuntu 16.4 and 17.10, KDE Neon 16.4 and 17.10. I am currently running Kubuntu 18.4 (which is, of course, a beta version), and so far that seems to be working correctly. I've rebooted the system several times in the last two days, I've shut down Kontact and restarted it several times as well, and have added the same software as I was using on the Mint version (in case the issue was caused by some library somehow). At least thus far, Kontact shows the icons correctly.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I can't think of a sillier reason to install a beta release. Beta means unreliable (it IS going to break at some point after an update) and by definition not officially supported.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
psrch

Post by psrch »

I did not say that's why I installed it. All I said was that, with it installed, this is the behavior I noticed. In case someone knows of a change in the way either the distro or the apps version work that could be causing this.
psrch

Post by psrch »

So, apart from being an asshat by telling me that I'm "silly" for installing a beta version in Virtualbox for testing, do you have any, you know, actual solutions?

Return to “Software & Applications”