How to switch to the KDE Plasma desktop [Resolved]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hunter2ismypass

How to switch to the KDE Plasma desktop [Resolved]

Post by hunter2ismypass »

I have freshly installed Linux Mint on my HP laptop. I installed Mint, booted it up, logged in, installed the updated drivers and installed the updates.

I then ran the following commands in order to install the KDE Plasma desktop:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

The website (that I got these instructions from) state that the installer is supposed to ask me to configure the sddm login manager. When it does this I'm supposed to select the "lightdm" login manager as default. However, I was never prompted to select this option.

Any ideas on how I can launch the sddm login manager so I can start using the KDE Plasma desktop?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How to switch to the KDE Plasma desktop

Post by Hoser Rob »

Oh dear. Installing more than one DE is an excellent way to break your OS. No really knowledgeable users do this, and whatever stupid blog you got that info from, don't read it again.

To make things worse, installing Kubuntu on a non Ubuntu machine is even worse. Mint is Ubuntu based but it isn't Ubuntu.

Since the problems caused by this are pretty hard to diagnose I'm afraid your best best is to back up your data and do a clean reinstall. Sorry but that's just how it is.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
hunter2ismypass

Thanks. I actually figured it out. Had to select Plasma from the login page. However, I ended up not using Plasma ultimately because I wasn't able to find the Terminal within it's interface. So I'm just sticking with the default desktop.
thunder422

Post by thunder422 »

Not that it matters now, but terminal is called Konsole on KDE Plasma.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

hunter2ismypass wrote:I have freshly installed Linux Mint on my HP laptop.
When you're asking a question, people will pretty much always need to know more than that to answer. I recommend always mentioning your distro version, desktop environment and architecture. For example, I'm using Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bits.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

thunder422 wrote:Not that it matters now, but terminal is called Konsole on KDE Plasma.
:)

And the text editor is Kate and the file manager is Dolphin, and Gwenview is the image viewer in case it matters! Anything else, just ask!
hunter2ismypass

thunder422 wrote:Not that it matters now, but terminal is called Konsole on KDE Plasma.
Thanks! I think I tried searching for Konsole but it didn't find anything. Oh well, I'm not going to use Plasma anyways. Ended up reinstalling Mint fresh since I didn't want to take a chance of Plasma causing issues with my install.
hunter2ismypass

aes2011 wrote:
:)

And the text editor is Kate and the file manager is Dolphin, and Gwenview is the image viewer in case it matters! Anything else, just ask!
Thanks! I appreciate it!

Return to “Software & Applications”