How to change version to cinamon

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
theTapir

How to change version to cinamon

Post by theTapir »

I am currently using mint 18.3 KDE 64-bit.
Is there a way to switch my mint version to 18.3 cinamon 64-bit without losing all my data?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: How to change version to cinamon

Post by Pierre »

you could use Package Manager AKA synaptic,
to install the Cinnamon Meta package - - but this is also not without some risks, as well.

your better method, would be to BackUp your Data & perform a Clean Installation ..

that is typically, the Kde & Cinnamon Desktop Environments may not co-exist that well.
and therefore multi DEs are better suited to an more resource intensive DEs like these two are,
along with a lighter DE like what the Mate or Xfce DEs are.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How to change version to cinamon

Post by Hoser Rob »

Yes. Back up your data and do a clean reinstall.

Some may suggest simply installing Cinnamon but that's a very, very good way to break your OS due to conflicting libraries. No really knowledgeable users do this. It's fine if it's a spare computer you don't need I suppose but ..

Those sorts of problems are very hard to diagnose and fix, especially "over the phone", so the usual recommendation is to do a data backup and clean reinstall.

The best way to try different DEs is to just dl the live cd install iso and boot that from a USB stick ... DVD drives are too slow to get a feel for things.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Software & Applications”