How to fix Akonadi personal information management PIM service not operational

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

How to fix Akonadi personal information management PIM service not operational

Post by phd21 »

HI KDE users,

Easy to fix solution below.

Over the past few days or longer in my Linux Mint KDE 18.2 system which has been working very well, stopped working well for some primary KDE applications. All other applications and the desktop still worked fine. But my main KDE programs like Korganizer, Kontact, Kmail, Kalarm, etc... have not been working and the message is "Akonadi personal information management service not operational".

Apparently some recent updates messed up how the Akonadi system works which the aforementioned KDE applications rely upon. I do not know if it was a MySQL update, Plasma 5 Update, or some other update. I did a lot of research into this over days and found many complaints and many responses with various solutions. I tried many suggestions, but some methods wanted to remove too many of the installed applications.

I was just about to reinstall Linux Mint KDE 18.2 or 18.3 amid thoughts of hara-kiri (joke) when I thought I would take another look, and found what appears to be a simple fix (solution).

Just rename or delete your home folder's configuration folder for Akonadi and reboot (.local/share/akonadi/). Your system will automatically create a new fresh Akonadi configuration folder. This can be done using a file manager like Dolphin or from the konsole terminal prompt. If you have more than one user account, then do this for all user accounts.

To delete the Akonadi configuration folder from the konsole terminal prompt.

Code: Select all

sudo rm -r ~/.local/share/akonadi/
Positive Observation: After doing this for some reason everything seems to be working better now than ever before even since I installed Linux Mint KDE 18.x??? And, some quirky system and application behavior is now gone. I am wondering if this is something I should just do after installing KDE next time.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Amtriorix

Re: How to fix Akonadi personal information management PIM service not operational

Post by Amtriorix »

@community

Try to perform a:

apt-get install akonadi* -reinstall
@phd21 :evil: Yeah, You instruct users to destroy their data with your rm -r ~/.local/share/akonadi
Good job to give bad advice to users, so they remove their mail data in some cases.

The new Kmail CAN stores local mail in that folder. It is not only cached data from remote accounts, using IMAP or whatever.

If you have a PhD, as Your nick suggest, it is certainly not in IT.

I suggest You do a #sudo su; rm -r ~/home/phd21, so You would consider to think before you post and do less harm to the community !
That is a good advice for you. :evil:

phd21
phd21 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:12 am HI KDE users,

Easy to fix solution below.

Over the past few days or longer in my Linux Mint KDE 18.2 system which has been working very well, stopped working well for some primary KDE applications. All other applications and the desktop still worked fine. But my main KDE programs like Korganizer, Kontact, Kmail, Kalarm, etc... have not been working and the message is "Akonadi personal information management service not operational".

Apparently some recent updates messed up how the Akonadi system works which the aforementioned KDE applications rely upon. I do not know if it was a MySQL update, Plasma 5 Update, or some other update. I did a lot of research into this over days and found many complaints and many responses with various solutions. I tried many suggestions, but some methods wanted to remove too many of the installed applications.

I was just about to reinstall Linux Mint KDE 18.2 or 18.3 amid thoughts of hara-kiri (joke) when I thought I would take another look, and found what appears to be a simple fix (solution).

Just rename or delete your home folder's configuration folder for Akonadi and reboot (.local/share/akonadi/). Your system will automatically create a new fresh Akonadi configuration folder. This can be done using a file manager like Dolphin or from the konsole terminal prompt. If you have more than one user account, then do this for all user accounts.

Positive Observation: After doing this for some reason everything seems to be working better now than ever before even since I installed Linux Mint KDE 18.x??? And, some quirky system and application behavior is now gone. I am wondering if this is something I should just do after installing KDE next time.

Hope this helps ...
ozdroggy
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How to fix Akonadi personal information management PIM service not operational

Post by ozdroggy »

Upgraded to Mint 18.3 (Sylvia) 64-bit a few weeks ago but could not get KAlarm to work. Always ending up with "Akonadi personal information management PIM service not operational". Flat out until now so did not bother looking for a solution. Finally found this post :D

Worked for me 100%. Thanks phd21.

Ooops! better fix my signature :(
Mike.

Linux Mint
Release Linux Mint 21.1 Vera 64-bit
Kernel Linux 5.15.0-72-generic x86_64
MATE 1.26.0

Hardware
Memory: 3.8 GiB
Processor: Intel(R) Core i3-4160 CPU @ 3.60GHz x 4

System Status
Available disk space: 299.8 GiB
blue_bullet

Post by blue_bullet »

I have made it a practice to keep notes on how to get from one release to the next with Linux Mint KDE.
Something to do with my poor memory and sleeping at night. Here is note (18) I made to get kalarm working:

(18) Updated 2017-03-26 @ 17:54:09 MDT by rob@lectra
Kalarm was not working because Adonadi was not registered with dbus. In Konsole enter:
sudo mkdir /var/lib/mysql-files
Then run Kalarm. Akonadi should start up.

I think it was all an sql issue.
ozdroggy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ozdroggy »

Worked for me 100%. Thanks phd21.
Or so I thought :(

I then found that the 4GB memory slowly disappeared over an hour or so when not actually being used. What was the memory HOG? I suspected that Kalarm had something to do with it.

I have been having dual boot problems ever since my 18.3 update and have done clean reinstalls a number of times both as legacy and UEFI. I have also done a number of back-ups and these often took a long time so I watched for places where it appeared to 'linger longer'. I noted 'Akonadi' was showing as having lots of files being backed up.

When I drilled down into my home directory with hidden files in view I found that /.local/share/ contained akonadi_lcal_resource_1 and akonadi_kalarm_resource_3 and had over 200,000 files in each!

I also noticed that both were adding another file about every second. I removed Kalarm from my computer and then deleted both folders. I then did another install as UEFI which is how things should be.

My system was as solid as a rock with about 30% of memory in use for a number of hours - just as it is now. I had NOT YET installed Kalarm which I consider to be the best available.

Then I installed Kalarm - memory immediately started disappearing. This has to be the memory hog. Reinvestigated the akonadi files above and also those to be found in /.hde/share/apps.

Here are two images:
KalarmAkonadiLocal.png
Note the 4.5K files! They were also ticking over and increasing one per second.
and
KalarmAkonadiKDE.png
I have again deleted Kalarm and both those files and no longer have the memory hog problem.

FWIW - I also use KMyMoney and that is still working 100% and Kalarm never worked correctly under Mint 18 but was 100% under Mint 17.

Hope this is some help to someone.
Mike.

Linux Mint
Release Linux Mint 21.1 Vera 64-bit
Kernel Linux 5.15.0-72-generic x86_64
MATE 1.26.0

Hardware
Memory: 3.8 GiB
Processor: Intel(R) Core i3-4160 CPU @ 3.60GHz x 4

System Status
Available disk space: 299.8 GiB

Return to “Software & Applications”