Where is HiDPI in Plasma settings?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
borg101
Level 4
Level 4

Where is HiDPI in Plasma settings?

Post by borg101 »

I just installed kubuntu on my laptop and wanted to check out Plasma on my desktop since it was so cool looking on my laptop. After I installed it, I restarted and logged in and everything was microscopic. I could barely read anything inches away from my 55inch 1080p display. I tried setting the default text scale factor but that didn't work. I manually set each font size and that helped, but icons and such were still tiny. I couldn't find the HiDPI settings at all. Any help?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mobo: ASRock model: Z97E-ITX | CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-4690 | GPU: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] | RAM: 16GB DDR3 | SSD/HDD: Total Size: 8251.6GB | OS: Mint 19 (Cinnamon/Gnome)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Where is HiDPI in Plasma settings?

Post by catweazel »

borg101 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:18 pm I just installed kubuntu on my laptop
And you're asking on a Linux Mint forum because?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
borg101
Level 4
Level 4

Post by borg101 »

catweazel wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:32 am
borg101 wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:18 pm I just installed kubuntu on my laptop
And you're asking on a Linux Mint forum because?
.......Well, if you had bothered to read my post, you'd notice that I referenced kubuntu as the install on my laptop and that I wanted to try Plasma on my desktop which, according to my signature, is running Mint 18.3. But hey, let's just keep being sarcastic and see how helpful we can be. I'm sure it will turn out fine.
Mobo: ASRock model: Z97E-ITX | CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-4690 | GPU: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] | RAM: 16GB DDR3 | SSD/HDD: Total Size: 8251.6GB | OS: Mint 19 (Cinnamon/Gnome)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

It helps to be specific and not make people play detective with your signature.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

That last link sums it all up I think: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI#KDE. Additional steps may be needed for specific applications as noted later on that page.
borg101
Level 4
Level 4

Post by borg101 »

xenopeek wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:11 am It helps to be specific and not make people play detective with your signature.
Soooo.....being on a Mint forum, I should have to specify what OS I'm using? Cool...good to know. How much more specific do I need to be? I stated I installed kubuntu on my laptop and that I liked Plasma so I wanted it to be on my desktop? Besides the fact that it is in my signature, shouldn't the fact that I'm on a Mint forum make that obvious? I didn't post in Ubuntu forums or Arch or any other place. If we need to to state that we're using the distro while on the forum for said distro, that's a pretty sad state of affairs. Now, if what version I'm using was asked, I can understand that....but that wasn't what was asked. A sarcastic and unhelpful response is what was asked.
aes2011, Thank you for being the only one to have a productive and helpful response.
o-l-d

Post by o-l-d »

Here is an article with simple instructions how to set up HiDPI with the most popular linux desktop environments using a Ubuntu/Debian base.

https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-li ... -on-linux/

Return to “Software & Applications”