Why does KDE ask you to login several times during install?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Why does Mint KDE ask for a login 2 or 3 times during install?

Post by AZgl1800 »

I just installed 18.3 KDE and during the Permanent Install to disk, it asked me to login at least twice.

Caught me by surprise, never been asked to do that before in other Mint versions.

FWIW, I have it running in VB under 18.3 Cinnamon
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Why does Mint KDE ask for a login 2 or 3 times during install?

Post by catweazel »

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:02 am Caught me by surprise, never been asked to do that before in other Mint versions.
That isn't normal. Does it still happen after rebooting?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

do you recall, at which point(s) - - during the Installation - - that this scenario occurred ?.
- it's certainly *not* normal . . . .
did the Installation Freeze at any Time ? did the screen-saver kick in ? ( this is set too low, on the Live Disk )
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
o-l-d

Post by o-l-d »

When doing an installation of Mint KDE always go into system settings and disable lock screen or adjust the time before starting the install. I think that by default it is set for 5 minutes and if no activity is detected (mouse movement or keystroke)during install it will activate lock screen.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi AZgl1500,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

This has happened to me with all editions of Linux Mint because of the screen locker (screen saver) and or the power settings kick in after 5-10 minutes during the installation and afterward. I usually disable those features during the installation and afterward.

In Linux Mint KDE 18.x (Plasma 5) those settings are under System Settings -> Desktop Behavior -> Screen Locking, and System Settings -> Power Management -> Energy Saving.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Why does KDE ask you to login several times during install?

Post by AZgl1800 »

pretty much what the title says,
I just finished up an install of 18.3 KDE and it asked me several times for my password.

why?

none of the other distros have done that, IIRC.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Why does KDE ask you to login several times during install?

Post by Neil Edmond »

Hmmm... Must admit, I haven't installed KDE as many times as other DE, but did install Mint KDE not too long ago, and don't remember anything unusual about the password. Of course, one must set a password during install, and then use that to log into the system once install is finished. But that's all I recall.

Edit: I'm starting to recall some password peculiarities about KDE... I think I had to enter password to connect to wifi... a couple of times because of the KDE wallet thing. But once those "features" were disabled, that didn't have to happen again. Plus, that was after install, not during... so still dunno.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Why does KDE ask you to login several times during install?

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Duplicate topics merged; please don't double-post. If you find you have posted in the wrong section, ask us to move it and we'll be happy to help.
Topic now moved to the KDE section since it's not about software.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Software & Applications”