Linux Mint KDE has also a crippled file saving/choosing manager?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TL7

Linux Mint KDE has also a crippled file saving/choosing manager?

Post by TL7 »

The file saving/choosing manager does not allow direct opening files and the file opening selector does not even have a path/filename bar.
How can I enable that bar? Windows has one, and I see no reason why Linux Mint KDE should not.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
o-l-d

Re: Linux Mint KDE has also a crippled file saving/choosing manager?

Post by o-l-d »

If you right click on the file name/path (located below the toolbar and above the window) in Dolphin there is an option to show full path ie home/owner/folder/file or in root
/folder/subfolder/file. When comparing any desktop environment to Windows there is a learning curve as to where and how it can be configured. Dolphin, the default file manager for KDE, is one of the most configurable and easiest to use once you configure it to your needs. Unlike Windows most linux desktops are highly customizable to suit the individual.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

TL7 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:50 pm... Windows has one, and I see no reason why Linux Mint KDE should not.
Maybe because Linux isn't Windows? Seriously, a lot of Linux beginners were expecting Linux to be a free version of Windows and it just isn't that. If it WAS that you'd be getting viruses like mad so it's not all bad ...
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
TL7

Post by TL7 »

Hoser Rob wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:28 am
TL7 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:50 pm... Windows has one, and I see no reason why Linux Mint KDE should not.
Maybe because Linux isn't Windows? Seriously, a lot of Linux beginners were expecting Linux to be a free version of Windows and it just isn't that. If it WAS that you'd be getting viruses like mad so it's not all bad ...
Yes.
I understand.

But that file saving bar is a highly useful feature of Windows and also the ability to open files direcrly from the file saving manager.

It is objectively useful, no matter whether Windows had it or not.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi TL7,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well. I do not know if you have a satisfactory answer to your questions, but this post showed up on my system today.

Which version of Linux Mint KDE are you using? It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

As was already stated, the KDE file manager "Dolphin" is one of the best (if not the best) file managers available and very user configurable.

- You can single-click or double-click known file types to open them with default applications, or right-click files and choose applications (also user configurable). If there is a file type the system does not recognize and you have an application for handling those file types, just right-click one of those files, select open with, or select properties, click File Type Option Button, and add the application(s), from then on whenever you click a file of that file type your system will open that application. The first application listed is the default application for that file type.

If you want the ability to enter in the "path" just enable it, click F6, or View -> Location Bar.

There are many more options and user configurations available. I also prefer to see the standard menu bar at the top (File, Edit, etc...) which you can enable by clicking (Ctrl+M) or the 3 horizontal bars (hamburger icon) and clicking Menu Bar option. I also customize the toolbar to add function buttons I want...

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Software & Applications”