KDE Widgets are Invisible.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
StevenC21

KDE Widgets are Invisible.

Post by StevenC21 »

Hey everyone: I recently switched from Cinnamon to KDE, and I'm sort of regretting my choice. You see, a lot of features are simply not working. Chiefly, widgets. When I drag them onto the screen, it is shown that they are on the screen, but they are invisible. If I hover over it and right-click to get a context menu, I can see its there, but on the desktop it is invisible. Is there a setting I need to change?
HW Specs:
CPU~Quad core Intel Core i7-7700HQ (-HT-MCP-) speed/max~3536/3800 MHz Kernel~4.10.0-38-generic x86_64 Up~19:06 Mem~2163.5/15926.4MB HDD~1128.2GB(34.8% used) Procs~249 Client~Shell inxi~2.2.35
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Re: KDE Widgets are Invisible.

Post by tovian »

I cannot answer your question, but if you ask it on the KDE forum HERE you may get a good answer.

* Note: You will have to register on their site before you can post a question.
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

Hi StevenC21, I have had similar issues. Try right clicking the desktop, click "configure desktop" and change layout from
desktop view to folder view. It worked for me.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI StevenC21,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Not sure why the default Linux Mint KDE 18.x desktop layout option is "default" or "desktop", but most people would want the "Folder View" Layout as member "BubbaBlues" stated. Just right-click the desktop, select "configure desktop", change the layout to folder view, select your wallpaper option, click apply, ok. Then when you add desktop shortcut icons (widgets, launchers), they show up properly. Afterward, you can also right-click the desktop and there are many excellent options for icons (widgets).

Tip or Info Note: For people first coming to KDE from MS Windows or Mac, or even another Linux system, there are various application menu options in addition to the default "Application Launcher", just right-click the menu key, click "Alternatives", click another menu choice like Cascading Menu, click Switch button.

FYI: Even with the default "Desktop" layout or with "activities" (alternate virtual desktop workspaces), when you add desktop shortcut icons or widgets, they usually show up in the upper left, sometimes stacked on top of each other, you can click and hold an icon (widget) for a couple seconds and a pop-up menu appears allowing you to resize or move them, and change its settings (if it has any). Unfortunately, you do not get the icon options with the "Desktop" default layout like you do with the "Folder View" layout.

KDE18x_Desktop_Layout1.jpg
KDE18x_Desktop_Layout2.jpg
KDE18x_Desktop_Layout3.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.

Return to “Software & Applications”