Keyboard shortcut for launching Dolphin?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
purpletree

Keyboard shortcut for launching Dolphin?

Post by purpletree »

I'm coming from Windows 10 and one feature I enjoyed was the ability to open the file explorer using Super + e.
What I'm wondering is how do I set up a similar keyboard short cut for launching Dolphin?

I've been reading KHelpCenter documentation. There's a section called Filemanager Settings Modules which explains a lot of Dolphin's features.
Unfortunately I've not been able to find any mention of a keyboard shortcut.

Using Dolphin I've looked at the More Actions menu and tried the Window Shortcut feature but this didn't seem to do anything.
I also browsed through some of the other configuration menus and also the Control -> Startup, and Control -> General.

The other idea I tried was System Settings -> Workspace -> Shortcuts where there are Standard Shortcuts, Global Shortcuts, Web Shortcuts, and Custom Shortcuts. It was unclear if I can accomplish launching Dolphin using any of the options in any of these menus. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it.

The closest I've come to a keyboard shortcut for launching Dolphin is to press Alt+Space and start typing Dolphin and then hitting Enter. It's pretty good but I'd still prefer to hit Super + e (or something similar).

Linux Mint 18.3 KDE Edition
KDE Plasma Version: 5.8.9
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.36.0
Qt Version: 5.6.1
Kernel Version: 4.10.0-38-generic
OS Type: 64-bit
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Keyboard shortcut for launching Dolphin?

Post by catweazel »

purpletree wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:07 pm I'm coming from Windows 10 and one feature I enjoyed was the ability to open the file explorer using Super + e.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/633010/ ... tcut-metae
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
purpletree

Post by purpletree »

Thanks you. (I didn't think to look in the Ubuntu forums.) From the date it appears that solution is about 3 years ago. It looks like the solution was to change a setting in the KDE Menu Editor. I can't find the KDE Menu Editor. Alt-Space and typing KDE Menu Editor doesn't result in anything. And searching through the KDE Help Center documentation also didn't result in finding anything called KDE Menu Editor.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Did you try typing kmenuedit in the terminal?
purpletree

Post by purpletree »

Thank you. Success.

Here's the solution to opening Dolphin with the traditional Windows File Explorer shortcut of Super + e (or the shortcut combination of your choice).

Instructions:
Open the KDE Menu Editor which can be done from the terminal by typing kmenuedit and hitting Enter.
In the tree menu on the left hand side expand the System section.
Select Dolphin (File Manager).
Chose the Advanced tab.
At the bottom there's a section called "Current shortcut key:"
Chose the keyboard shortcut you want by using your keyboard.
Exit KDE Menu Editor.
Upon exit your changes will take effect.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

You're welcome. And thank you for posting the tutorial.
blue_bullet

Post by blue_bullet »

Thank you both for sharing. I used the Windoz key + D key to invoke dolphin.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi purpletree,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Linux Mint KDE is one of the most user-configurable systems with usually more than one way to do most things.

1.) You can just right-click the menu super key, select "Edit Applications" to use "kmenuedit" for this and many other things.

2.) You can also use the System Settings -> Shortcuts to add or change various keyboard shortcuts.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.

Return to “Software & Applications”