kde along side cinnamon

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
callmejoe
Level 3
Level 3

kde along side cinnamon

Post by callmejoe »

im on 18.3 and have been using cinnamon exclusively. i wanted to give another desktop a try so i installed KDE along side cinnamon. after installing i was reading that doing it that way instead of a clean install would cause stability issues. some people think it works fine, some saying you should never install it along side cinnamon.

i did notice some instability, app crashes. nothing major. i do see that you end up with the default applications from both desktops. like nemo and dolphin, 2 terminals, 2 update managers, etc.

what's the consensus on best way to use 2 different DEs
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: kde along side cinnamon

Post by all41 »

I have always been disappointed with mixing DEs, especially when one is KDE.
Personally I would install one and experiment with others in virtual box,
or else install ea DE to in it's own partition.
Last edited by all41 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Installing multiple DEs is one of the best ways to break your OS. All the people I've read who say it's OK are newbies and their system hasn't broken YET. Those guys tend to say something works that they just did 5 minutes ago. I don't know of a single knowledgeable Linux user who'd do this. I recommand a backup and clean reinstall. That's the standard recommendation.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Trying this led me to losing hair, alcoholism and diabetes :mrgreen:
callmejoe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by callmejoe »

so doesn't sound like installing more than one DE at a time is good choice.

then why are display managers set up to switch so easily between them?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

A good question: Where is the sense to have more than 1 DE installed on the system? I don't get it.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

If you must have two DE's the best way is to make two partitions and install them separately.
I've done that in the past to help others answer questions on a DE that was not my first choice. But it will require a reboot to change from one to the other.
But never broke a system with that method.

if you must have KDE after mint 19 there is plenty of discussion on the forums on how to do that.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Pepi wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:29 am Trying this led me to losing hair, alcoholism and diabetes :mrgreen:
I had to live on Coca Cola and cigarettes for twenty five years. If only I'd known there was a shortcut!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

callmejoe wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:03 pm so doesn't sound like installing more than one DE at a time is good choice.

Don't most distros come with just the one display manager installed by default?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

callmejoe wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:03 pm so doesn't sound like installing more than one DE at a time is good choice.

The real point is that you need to know enough to be able to fix things without anyone's help when your system borks because you'll get little to no help from the regulars here.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
stormryder

Post by stormryder »

callmejoe wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:03 pm then why are display managers set up to switch so easily between them?
From what I've read installing multiple DEs works fine.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=256024&start=20#p1380782
I trust the opinion of a mint developer on this one.
Unfortunately as he points out cinnamon and kde aren't that compatible and its probable that's why others have had issues when installing multiple DEs.
callmejoe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by callmejoe »

catweazel wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:17 am
The real point is that you need to know enough to be able to fix things without anyone's help when your system borks because you'll get little to no help from the regulars here.
funny or sad. not sure which :D
Last edited by callmejoe on Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
callmejoe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by callmejoe »

stormryder wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:02 am
From what I've read installing multiple DEs works fine.
I trust the opinion of a mint developer on this one.
Unfortunately as he points out cinnamon and kde aren't that compatible and its probable that's why others have had issues when installing multiple DEs.
interesting read.

so what is best way to completely remove KDE? just a simple sudo apt remove kubuntu-desktop?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

callmejoe wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:52 pm
catweazel wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:17 am
funny or sad. not sure which :D
It's neither. The people here are volunteers and don't have the time to sort out huge self-made messes for people.
urdrwho
Level 5
Level 5

Post by urdrwho »

I've used KDE on several computers and my take on KDE is that it wants to take over everything. Therefore a dual install with KDE and Cinnamon will IMHO clog up your system. To me KDE is the best looking DE but with that comes a price.

I agree with the quote in the link.

Re: End of KDE
Report this post Quote
Post by JosephM » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:54 am

For those of you talking about installing a Mint version and then adding Plasma desktop to it: I would avoid starting with the Cinnamon edition. I know most here usually say not to install multiple DE's but I do it all the time for testing purposes and it works fine. The two that do not seem to play well together and I've heard from a few sources can be problematic are Plasma and Cinnamon.
stormryder

Post by stormryder »

callmejoe wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:55 pm so what is best way to completely remove KDE? just a simple sudo apt remove kubuntu-desktop?
That will only remove one package kubuntu-desktop, , if you installed from synaptic you can look in the history to see a list of what was installed along with it. I believe sudo apt auto-remove will remove these once you uninstall the main package, as well as any other packages not used by any software installed in the system.
catweazel wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:40 pm It's neither. The people here are volunteers and don't have the time to sort out huge self-made messes for people.
Doesn't seem like a very good reason to give users the mushroom treatment. Reinstalling mint isn't that hard, if I can't find the solution to a problem within an hour or two of searching its a waste of my time to pursue it any further. A good backup routine is recommended anyway, seems like that will get people out of most of the messes they get into, whatever the cause.
callmejoe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by callmejoe »

stormryder wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:50 am
A good backup routine is recommended anyway, seems like that will get people out of most of the messes they get into, whatever the cause.
i did happen to make a back up image of my system before i installed KDE so i can always fall back on that.

i do like the look of KDE. but i can easily stick with cinnamon. doesn't seem like there are any system issues when i'm logged into cinnamon. and i guess i dont have to remove KDE. just some extra files and programs sitting there. will see how long i can go just ignoring them.
galaxy0815

Post by galaxy0815 »

No Problem using two different desktop systems.

But why?

I for myself using MATE on my notebook because there's not enough memory.
With MATE it runs better and faster.
But on my desktop computer I'm using KDE Plasma for a better workflow.
For me MATE on the desktop computer is the reference system to my notebook.

No Problem to do this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDC6Xew8sL4

Every display manager (where you log in) gives you the chance to switch between the desktop systems you have installed. There are no problems.

Expect one thing. If you have not enough space on your harddisk.

In the display manager you can choose one of the installed desktop systems which you want so use for your needs.

Return to “Software & Applications”