Can't set default programs

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
funinthesun

Can't set default programs

Post by funinthesun »

I have Mint 17.2 KDE on this machine. I know it's old but it works for me and I have a ton of addon programs that I would have to reinstall if I upgraded. My problem is getting VLC media player to start when I double click a 3GP file. It always wants to start in Amarok which I don't want. If I right click the file, select open with, choose other and deliberately select VLC and then check the Remember application association a dialog pops up that indicates that the system is updating the change. However on double clicking a 3gp file nothing has changed and it still tries to start with Amarok. How do I get the file to reassociate with the program I want.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thunder422

Re: Can't set default programs

Post by thunder422 »

I'm still on 17.3 - it works and is still supported.

Yes, I've seen that option to remember, but it doesn't seem to actually remember. Here's what I do instead: Settings, under Common Appearance and Behavior select File Associations. Open video (click on the '+' or triangle in front of it). Click on 3gpp. On the right your see various Filename Patterns, one of which is *.3gp. Below is the Application Preference Order. Click on VLC media player, which is probably not at the top, click on Move Up until it is. Click Apply and that should do it.
blue_bullet

Post by blue_bullet »

I am also happily running 17.3 and watch a trial version of 18.3 on an old laptop. Still not happy with 18.3.

Here's what I did and it worked as well. In dolphin right click on a .mp3 file, select properties, click on file type options, click on VLC, click on Move Up button, click on Apply, click on OK, click on OK. Your are done.
funinthesun

Post by funinthesun »

Thanks for the advice. I used thunder422s recommendation but it didn't work, so I just removed Amarok and Dragon from the list and then it worked the way I wanted. Thanks again.

Return to “Software & Applications”