Trying KDE Plasma

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jlapinsnki4

Trying KDE Plasma

Post by jlapinsnki4 »

Good afternoon,

I am interested in experimenting with the KDE desktop environment. I am currently running Mint 18.3 Cinnamon. If I run the following command will that allow me to switch between the 2 environments while preserving settings, data, etc?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
Thanks as always!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
o-l-d

Re: Trying KDE Plasma

Post by o-l-d »

The people here more familiar with Cinnamon say that is a definite No-No! The 2 different desktops do not play well when installed together. But if you decide to proceed then back up everything of importance and be prepared for it to not work.
jlapinsnki4

Post by jlapinsnki4 »

Thanks for the info
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi jlapinsnki4,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

- You could install Linux Mint KDE along side of Cinnamon and "dual-boot".
- If you have enough system memory, you could install Virtualbox and Linux Mint KDE within that and run it while still within Cinnamon or any other operating system.
- You could fully install Linux Mint KDE onto a USB stick of 16gb or larger, or create a USB stick of the live test drive version with "persistence".

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

As mewntioned,k installing multiple DEs is not a good idea. It's a good best way to break your install.

The simplest way may be to just dl the live CD iso and boot it from USB.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Software & Applications”