How to change just this one window to be readable?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FuLl

How to change just this one window to be readable?

Post by FuLl »

I have this one app whose interpretation of my settings ends up with it being unusable. Screenshot attached.

Otherwise, I'm happy with my DE's color (etc.) settings, & even if I knew what to change to get this one window readable, I'm not sure I'd want to change everything just for this one.

I tinkered a bit with the window settings that live in the titlebar's right-click menu, with no luck.

Is there a way to change just this one window's settings to make it readable?

Thanks-
Untitled.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How to change just this one window to be readable?

Post by phd21 »

Hi FuLl,

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

It would also help to know what application window you are referring to.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
FuLl

Post by FuLl »

phd21 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 6:09 pm Hi FuLl,

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

It would also help to know what application window you are referring to.
The window is the 'Account' menu entry of the 'SpiderOakONE' backup client app, from here: https://spideroak.com/one/
This account window provides authenticated access to the billing section of my account with them- bookmarked links fail to load. So it's kind of important to be able to read it.

Output of aforementioned command is:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: live Kernel: 4.10.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0) Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.8.9 (Qt 5.6.1)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: Dell (portable) product: Inspiron 5559
           Mobo: Dell model: 052K07 v: A00 Bios: Dell v: 1.2.9 date: 06/21/2017
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i7-6500U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 10368
           clock speeds: max: 3100 MHz 1: 1287 MHz 2: 1065 MHz 3: 1557 MHz 4: 1585 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Sky Lake Integrated Graphics bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Sun XT [Radeon HD 8670A/8670M/8690M / R5 M330]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon,intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1f.3
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.0-38-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel Wireless 3160 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1256.3GB (45.1% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: Crucial_CT256MX1 size: 256.1GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: ST1000LM024_HN size: 1000.2GB
           Optical: No optical drives detected.
Partition: ID-1: / size: 235G used: 117G (53%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.29GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb2
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 51.0C mobo: 25.0C gpu: 49.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 253 Uptime: 5 min Memory: 8704.9/15937.4MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi FuLl,

I do not see anything wrong with the results of the "inxi -Fxzd" console terminal command, so that is a good thing.

You do have newer computer hardware and dual video, and for security reasons, you would probably benefit by updating the Linux Kernel to 4.14.xx or 4.15.xx series. You can use the Mint Update Manager to do this, reboot afterward.

I downloaded and installed their Linux deb file it works perfectly on my Linux Mint 18.3 KDE system.

Hope this helps ...
SpiderOakClient.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
FuLl

Post by FuLl »

When I tried upgrading to the 4.15.xx-x kernel I wound up with a ton of stuff breaking:

1. No wired network - Didn't troubleshoot
2. No HDMI - Couldn't switch primary display in KDE System Settings > Display b/c it wasn't present to do so
3. No VirtualBox VM - Got some kind of error I didn't recognize when I ran the script I use to sign kernel modules
4. Synaptic complained there were no other kernels to use for boot when I tried uninstalling the 4.15.x-xx kernel & modules

...I had to edit grub to change its timeout from 0 to be able to boot the old kernel, after which the 4.15.x-xx was uninstalled successfully.

Regarding your running the SpiderOakONE client on yours- Is the 'Account' window readable from the links at the lower right there?
If so, what's your theme? And is there a way to apply whatever theme does render that readable to just that app?

-Thanks
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi FuLl,

You can always access the advanced boot options during bootup by holding down the left or right shift key, or the Esc Key, or the Spacebar. I prefer to have the boot menu always show.

Try installing a Kernel from the 4.14.xx series, always restart (reboot) after Kernel updates/upgrades.

Your System Settings -> Workspace Appearance -> Desktop Theme can certainly make a difference. I have a lot of these installed, and one of them (Blue Tint Glass) did not work and actually caused problems. I am using "Big Blue" Desktop Theme at the moment, but I tried "Linux Mint", "Breeze Light and Dark", "Oxygen", "air", "Slim Glow", "Neon glow", etc.... and they all worked. What theme are you using?

Is this an issue only with the SpiderOak client, or other stuff as well?

Close the Spider Oak client, then retry reinstalling the SpiderOak client again.

Run the command below and restart the client.

sudo apt install -f
If you tried to change individual theme components, try to reverse that, and tell me what you tried.

If all else fails, purge the spideroak client, and its configuration folder and then re-install it.

sudo apt purge spideroakone

sudo rm -r ~/.config/SpiderOakONE/

Hope this helps ...
SpiderOakClient_account.jpg
kde183_Desktop_Theme.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Sat May 26, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FuLl

Post by FuLl »

phd21 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:33 pm Hi FuLl,

You can always access the advanced boot options during bootup by holding down the left or right shift key, or the Esc Key, or the Spacebar. I prefer to have the boot menu always show.

Try installing a Kernel from the 4.14.xx series.

Your System Settings -> Workspace Appearance -> Desktop Theme can certainly make a difference. What theme are you using.

Is this an issue only with the SpiderOak client, or other stuff as well?

If you tried to change individual theme components, try to reverse that, and tell me what you tried.
Its only an issue with that one window in that one app. Its been an issue throughout resetting the app- in fact I had to redo its hidden settings folder in home recently & there was no change.

The themes I have installed are all default AFAIK. I have the 'Breeze Dark' selected everywhere except for the 2 GTK fallback themes, which IIRC didn't look right on something (Don't recall what) when set to 'Breeze Dark' so they're both set to basic 'Breeze', not the dark variant.

I just spent a minute or so selecting all sorts of non-Breeze Dark style elements & the only effect I saw was the SpiderOakONE tray icon displayed as an unrenderable block placeholder, which stayed until I reverted everything & restarted the app.

When I looked in the color customize menu there are alot of the same colors set in there that I see in this window. So I was hesitant to go changing anything in there out of fear of breaking stuff that is indeed okay at present. I didn't see anything eluding to the ability to change the color scheme of individual windows- like KDE allows for those 'Apply Initially' or whatnot it provides for window-specific settings but for colors. :-(

Regarding the kernel, I'll have to wait until I have time & mental capacity to go fixing stuff then will try again.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi FuLl,

Try what I just suggested regarding the Linux Kernel and the spideroak client itself.

You brought up a couple other considerations:

1.) Some applications designed specifically for GTK and Gnome (Cinnamon, Mate, Xfce) want the "adwaita" application style themes; these are usually older GTK2 applications. You may have to experiment with this or use my settings. Changes in these settings may require logging out and back in, or restarting.

2.) Although very rare, some applications deb file installers designed specifically for GTK and Gnome want to use the "GDebi" installer versus the standard KDE installer "QApt". I installed this using the "GDebi" installer. This can work visa-versa as well, some KDE and QT apps want to use the "QApt" installer versus the "GDebi" installer

Hope this helps ...
kde_Application_Style_GTK_Gnome1.jpg
KDE183_Installer_options.jpg
FuLl

Post by FuLl »

I've installed a new kernel which is now 4.15.0-20-generic.
Also tried changing from breeze-dark to all oxygen wherever possible, with Zion (reversed) color scheme for KDE & oxygen-gtk/default & adwaita for GTK 2/3.

For the heck of it here's output of $ inxi -Fxz again:

System:    Host: live Kernel: 4.15.0-20-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0) Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.8.9 (Qt 5.6.1)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: Dell (portable) product: Inspiron 5559
           Mobo: Dell model: 052K07 v: A00 Bios: Dell v: 1.2.9 date: 06/21/2017
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i7-6500U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 10368
           clock speeds: max: 3100 MHz 1: 1206 MHz 2: 1487 MHz 3: 1264 MHz 4: 1510 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Sky Lake Integrated Graphics bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Sun XT [Radeon HD 8670A/8670M/8690M / R5 M330]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon,intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1f.3
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-20-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel Wireless 3160 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1256.3GB (47.1% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: Crucial_CT256MX1 size: 256.1GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: ST1000LM024_HN size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 235G used: 119G (54%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.29GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb2
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 48.0C mobo: 25.0C gpu: 45.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 274 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 10054.2/15932.6MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35
I've deleted the app's .config/foo folder before & it didn't change anything on this window. It's a bit of a pain to reconfigure so I'm hesitant to do it again unless absolutely necessary- maybe later I'll have to during a support ticket I have open at the moment so I'm holding off on that so as to only do so on cue in my ticket. Hopefully soon enough I'll be doing that, in which case I can try reinstalling via your stated method, along with new oxygen (etc.) settings during install.

One thing I noticed during my switch over to the new theme/colors is that whenever I'd edit a color property, it'd be immediately visible when I hit Apply. Not so with the SpiderOak client, even after closing & relaunching. Not sure what that's about.

FYI my desktop looks like this now: https://imgur.com/6NJUphq

No longer this: https://imgur.com/xFIlwhL

And the window in question is still AFU on new desktop: https://imgur.com/a/BLElzpq

...In case it matters.
FuLl

Post by FuLl »

Today I purged the app altogether, & afterward deleted its directory in ~/.config/ before reinstalling. No help- the new installation looks exactly like it did before. So that blows the theory that it inherits the theme settings present at the time of installation. Unless maybe there were other hidden directories left over that I didn't delete. I was surprised to see that one in ~/.config/ because I thought 'purge' would have removed that, so apparently there's something I'm not understanding entirely.
FuLl

Post by FuLl »

So in lieu of a real solution, I've installed the app to a Windows box, & when I need to see what button to hit or what field to use on the Linux side, I just look for where it is on the Windows one that displays correctly.

FWIW the developers' support considers this a 'wontfix', telling me to just use the OS' default WM theme- & that it's impossible for them to test every kind. So, kind of hopeless on that front.

Return to “Software & Applications”