(SOLVED) (sort of)Can't do anything without being in sudo

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BubbaBlues

(SOLVED) (sort of)Can't do anything without being in sudo

Post by BubbaBlues »

I don't know why but I can't move files, tag mp3s or much of anything unless I open the app as root
or open Dolphin as root. Every time I try to do something it says I'm not authorized, even though I'm administrator.
Help! This boat ain't gonna float! Anyone have a cure for this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Can't do anything without being in sudo

Post by Flemur »

BubbaBlues wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:23 pmI don't know why but I can't move files, tag mp3s or much of anything unless I open the app as root
or open Dolphin as root.
That can cause more problems, depending on how you "open Dolphin as root" - how did you do it?
(Edit: "sudo program-with-gui" is bad)

How about posting the output of

Code: Select all

df
find $HOME ! -user $USER
ls -al /home
ls -l /where/your/mp3s/are
df = show file systems
find = find files you don't own.
ls = tell about your "home".
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
BubbaBlues

Re: Can't do anything without being in sudo

Post by BubbaBlues »

Ok hold on, I have bigger problems than that. I think I have a corrupt hdd. Amarok is pulling up local music that I don't even have
anymore. This partition was formatted in fat32 and used as a big music folder. Apparently the normal format wasn't enough and I'm going to have to totally erase my hdd and start over. This is a huge bummer. :oops: :oops:

Thank you Flemur for your help. I think I'll just reinstall 18.3 and meanwhile I'm using a perfectly good 18.2 on another hdd.
Don't know what went wrong. I've been a Mint user for many years and have never seen this sort of behavior. Whatever it is
it's probably something I did. It usually is hehe

Return to “Software & Applications”