How do I safely fix/remove KDE installation on Linux Mint 18.3 "Sylvia" Cinnamon Edition 64-bit

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Thanatophobia

How do I safely fix/remove KDE installation on Linux Mint 18.3 "Sylvia" Cinnamon Edition 64-bit

Post by Thanatophobia »

I was installing the KDE desktop environment on Linux Mint 18.3 64-bit alongside Cinnamon and Budgie. After installing KDE I rebooted the computer to check KDE out. I logged in to KDE and it displayed the KDE logo on startup but when I got to the desktop it was very slow and buggy on my computer and when I tried to logoff it crashed and I had to hard reboot my computer. When I logged back into Budgie, it seems KDE had serious interference with it, such as the lower panel not appearing and the icons enlarged. I logged into Cinnamon and it was okay at first before crahsing and restarting in Fallback Mode.

I installed KDE on Linux Mint with the following commands:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
After I added the kubuntu repositories I directly installed the kubuntu-desktop but I stopped the installation at 2% because I forgot to do the second and third commands and after doing those, I resumed with the installation.

I installed Linux Mint 18.3 "Sylvia" 64-bit with the Cinnamon desktop on a physical 10 year old dual-core amd64 computer with 3 gigs of RAM, and when I installed Budgie alongside Cinnamon there was no problems between the two desktop environments before I installed KDE.

Is there a way to safely fix KDE, if not remove it, without affecting my other desktop environments or applications?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How do I safely fix/remove KDE installation on Linux Mint 18.3 "Sylvia" Cinnamon Edition 64-bit

Post by catweazel »

Thanatophobia wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:01 pm I was installing the KDE desktop environment on Linux Mint 18.3 64-bit alongside Cinnamon and Budgie. ...
Is there a way to safely fix KDE, if not remove it, without affecting my other desktop environments or applications?
You created a frankendesktop. It's highly unlikely you can clean it up. You're going to have to revert to a recent backup. You do make backups before you fiddle with things, right?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Thanatophobia

Re: How do I safely fix/remove KDE installation on Linux Mint 18.3 "Sylvia" Cinnamon Edition 64-bit

Post by Thanatophobia »

catweazel wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:47 am
Thanatophobia wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:01 pm I was installing the KDE desktop environment on Linux Mint 18.3 64-bit alongside Cinnamon and Budgie. ...
You created a frankendesktop. It's highly unlikely you can clean it up. You're going to have to revert to a recent backup. You do make backups before you fiddle with things, right?
No, I did not unfortunately. I lost my 64 gig SDXC card where I make backups to.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Thanatophobia wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:06 am No, I did not unfortunately. I lost my 64 gig SDXC card where I make backups to.
Well, I think you need to backup your treasured stuff and reinstall.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

you shouldn't have installed KDE on Linux Mint with those following commands:,
as the Kde environment is available within an existing LinuxMint system.

- but,, there is normally a suggested way of installing Kde, in order to avoid most issues.
ie: it's not something that you can do easily.
:o
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Thanatophobia

Post by Thanatophobia »

Pierre wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:12 am you shouldn't have installed KDE on Linux Mint with those following commands:,
as the Kde environment is available within an existing LinuxMint system.

- but,, there is normally a suggested way of installing Kde, in order to avoid most issues.
ie: it's not something that you can do easily.
:o
Thanks. Could you please tell me how to install KDE this way?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

if you have Mint-Mate installed, then from Package manager AKA synaptic:
- then search for 'mint-meta-kde' and apply that install .. ..

NOTE: it's not a great idea to mix both KDE / Cinnamon on the same machine .. ..
so use either KDE / Cinnamon together with the Mate environment.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Software & Applications”