KDE framework updates?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
steveblezy

KDE framework updates?

Post by steveblezy »

Hi all. I know that mint is going to be dropping KDE. I was just wondering if in the mean time, will they be updating the KDE frameworks, etc? Mints has been working very well for me and now I am starting to scratch my head to figure out what I am going to move to. I am looking for a solid KDE distro where one can actually install and use nvidia proprietary drivers with ease (I have a K2000 and an integrated intel) in my laptop.

If anyone has any ideas/insights, please let me know

Steve
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: KDE framework updates?

Post by catweazel »

steveblezy wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:00 am If anyone has any ideas/insights, please let me know
I use KDE Neon. Manjaro is good too, but Neon is always on the leading edge with KDE.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
acheronuk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by acheronuk »

steveblezy wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:00 amHi all. I know that mint is going to be dropping KDE. I was just wondering if in the mean time, will they be updating the KDE frameworks, etc?
No. You have KDE Frameworks 5.36, which is the newest version possible with Qt 5.6.
Kubuntu Developer
o-l-d

Post by o-l-d »

The latest version of Plasma 5 is 5.13.2, the latest Qt version is 5.11.0, the latest KDE Framework is 5.47.0, the latest KDE app version is 18.04.2. None of which will be available in Mint KDE 18 unless the Neon User Edition repos are added. Adding those (both Mint and Neon are based on Xenial) will give you the latest IF your system doesn't "break".
galaxy0815

Post by galaxy0815 »

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
and

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop kde-config-gtk-style kde-config-gtk-style-preview
works great. After that log out out your user and switch the desktop from MATE to Plasma. Log in again.

It runs with xUbuntu and LM19.

Today tested with the latest Image from LM19 MATE. The only problem is that you must configure your desktop by yourself.
The Breeze theme isn't nice for the Gtk-Tools from the Mate edition. But they are running perfectly with Plasma 5.12.
On my hardware LM19 KDE runs since a week perfectly.

Update: there are many plugins for the systemsettings. You can see it with:

apt-cache search kde-config
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

galaxy0815 wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:51 pm ...
Update: there are many plugins for the systemsettings. You can see it with:

apt-cache search kde-config
I found a systemsettings that didn't follow that naming convention: kscreen. Used to change resolution and manipulate displays.

This process also worked for me on LM19 MATE plus dolphin, gwenview, konsole, kate.

There is a note in /etc/apt that says, "Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any review".

I suppose that means if it breaks, we fix ??

Will users get security fixes for KDE ? See: Unlike the packages released with Ubuntu, Backports do not come with any security support guarantee.

As of this reply, this process installed:
KDE Plasma Version 5.12.6
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.44.0
QT Version: 5.9.5

In the end, what is the benefit of using LM 19 + this process to get KDE, verses just using KUbuntu directly?
galaxy0815

Post by galaxy0815 »

Read this:
https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=133812

A developer said:
"The package set as a whole gets upgraded twice a year, yes. And security and bug fixes in between, as you say. Don't confuse the package set with individual packages, however. In Kubuntu, Plasma and Frameworks are updated as soon as we can get to them [..]"

The company said:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports
Security Support for Backports
Unlike the packages released with Ubuntu, Backports do not come with any security support guarantee. The Ubuntu Security Team does not update packages in Backports. When a package which has been backported receives a security update, the Ubuntu Backporters will make a best-effort attempt to update the backport.
galaxy0815

Post by galaxy0815 »

lmuserx4849 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:23 pm In the end, what is the benefit of using LM 19 + this process to get KDE, verses just using KUbuntu directly?
Linux Mint no longer has a KDE release. If anybody is interested to use KDE Plasma desktop, he must install by himself. You are free, to use KDE neon or KDE the packages from the KDE neon project. Also you are free to use Kubuntu. But Kubuntu has no mintupdate and others:

$ dpkg -l mint* | grep ^ii
ii  mint-artwork                 1.1.6        all          Linux Mint Artwork and Resources
ii  mint-backgrounds-tara        1.1          all          The desktop backgrounds for Linux Mint 19 Tara
ii  mint-common                  1.3.3        all          Common scripts and resources for Linux Mint
ii  mint-info-mate               2018.02.07   all          Necessary information about the Linux Mint release and edition.
ii  mint-meta-codecs             2018.06.08   all          All the packages required for multimedia support in Linux Mint.
ii  mint-meta-core               2018.06.08   all          Core Linux Mint packages
ii  mint-meta-mate               2018.06.08   all          Set of packages installed by default in the MATE edition of Linux Mint
ii  mint-mirrors                 1.1.7        all          Linux Mint Repository mirrors
ii  mint-themes                  1.7.2        all          Mint themes
ii  mint-translations            2018.06.26   all          Translation files for Linux Mint
ii  mint-upgrade-info            1.1.1        all          Information about upgrade paths
ii  mint-x-icons                 1.5.0        all          Mint-X icon theme
ii  mint-y-icons                 1.3.0        all          Mint-Y icon theme
ii  mintbackup                   2.3.4        all          Home Directory Backup Tool
ii  mintdesktop                  3.6.3        all          Desktop configuration tool
ii  mintdrivers                  1.4.1        all          Driver Manager
ii  mintinstall                  7.9.5        all          Software Manager
ii  mintlocale                   1.4.9        all          Language selection tool
ii  mintmenu                     5.9.0        all          Advanced MATE menu
ii  mintreport                   1.0.6        all          Troubleshooting tool for Linux Mint
ii  mintsources                  1.7.9        all          Software Sources configuration tool
ii  mintstick                    1.3.8        all          write .img and .iso files to USB sticks
ii  mintsystem                   8.3.8        all          Linux Mint System Base Package
ii  mintupdate                   5.4.0        all          The Linux Mint Update Manager
ii  mintwelcome                  2.3.2        all          Welcome screen for Linux Mint

And Linux Mint has this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcwFYNnWFqA

And of course this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon_ ... re)#X-Apps
I use them also on KDE Plasma
Last edited by galaxy0815 on Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi steveblezy,

There are some other good posts on this topic already in this forum.

Linux Mint KDE 18.3 has long-term support (LTS) until 2021.

There are various methods to install the KDE desktop (Kubuntu or Neon) on top of Linux Mint 19 Mate or Xfce. It has been recommended to use Xfce as it is easier to remove the Xfce stuff if you want to.

I have a working Linux Mint 19 Xfce with the KDE (Kubuntu) desktop installed into that which I call Linux Mint 19 xKDE, but it was not that simple and it took a while to get it to use all the native KDE packages over the Xfce packages. It does work well though.

You can also just update an existing Linux Mint KDE 18.3 to use the newer Plasma 5.12 + by just changing the source repository from "xenial" to "bionic", see link below. This is probably the easiest option.

Want Mint 19 but still want KDE? Have 18.3 KDE installed? Read on! - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=272299

Install KDE from live environment - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?p=1486597#p1486597

Then, of course, there are the actual KDE distributions. I have tried Kubuntu, Maui, Neon, etc... and they seem to work well. Linux Mint KDE has already been using the Kubuntu Backports PPA for KDE updates.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.

Return to “Software & Applications”