[SOLVED] Blanking artifacts on desktop when using Gimp

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FuLl

[SOLVED] Blanking artifacts on desktop when using Gimp

Post by FuLl »

I've recently changed to Oxygen from Breeze, & have a new problem where when I close (at least) Gimp, I get varying degrees of black splotches where my desktop wallpaper, or other windows should be.

Screenshots:
https://imgur.com/a/7QpAouP

The first screenshot shows a black square in the upper right that appears when I close a second-to-last Gimp image, right where the Gimp window was, & between the windows that were behind it is a black square instead of the wallpaper & the window that should be there.

The last screenshot is of what it should have looked like in the first screenshot. Sometimes it's normal & I don't see any pattern as to what would initiate normal behavior.

The middle screenshot is an almost total blackness I get, consistently, whenever I close the last Gimp image & it leaves me with an empty Gimp window. This goes back to normal immediately upon closing that last Gimp window.

I don't know what I might change to resolve this. It crossed my mind that there might be one of those desktop effects settings that needs to change, but that's just specualtion.

It may be relevant that I didn't intend to change everything from Breeze to Oxygen- it happened by accident. I was tinkering with the System Settings somewhere & checked a box that said something like (I can't find exactly what anymore) "Allow whatever (theme?) to change something (desktop?)". As soon as I did that I lost all customization of my whole desktop & panels & widgets, etc. When I started over I just did everything Oxygen instead. I don't know what all that might have changed to revert it all.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Blanking artifacts on desktop when using Gimp

Post by catweazel »

FuLl wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:54 pm I don't know what I might change to resolve this.
Please post the output of this terminal command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Enclose the results in-between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
FuLl

Post by FuLl »

catweazel wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:04 pm Output of:

inxi -Fxz

$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: live Kernel: 4.15.0-20-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0) Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.8.9 (Qt 5.6.1)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: Dell (portable) product: Inspiron 5559
           Mobo: Dell model: 052K07 v: A00 Bios: Dell v: 1.2.9 date: 06/21/2017
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i7-6500U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 10368
           clock speeds: max: 3100 MHz 1: 2805 MHz 2: 2812 MHz 3: 2825 MHz 4: 2854 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Sky Lake Integrated Graphics bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Sun XT [Radeon HD 8670A/8670M/8690M / R5 M330]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon,intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1f.3
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-20-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel Wireless 3160 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1256.3GB (47.2% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: Crucial_CT256MX1 size: 256.1GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: ST1000LM024_HN size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 235G used: 119G (54%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.29GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb2
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 62.0C mobo: 25.0C gpu: 51.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 258 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 10774.8/15932.6MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 

...Thanks
FuLl

Post by FuLl »

Figured I might add that today the same kind of thing where the visible desktop next to where the Chrome window is is black today upon launching Chrome. Minimizing & re-raising it resolved the black covering the wallpaper.
FuLl

Post by FuLl »

So today I started tinkering with the 'Desktop Effects' section in KDE System Settings.

It didn't cause the behavior to stop happening, just changed how it tends to manifest.

Screenshot of it now:
https://imgur.com/a/zu1y2Im
FuLl

Post by FuLl »

After a period of Trial & Error, it appears I've found a solution.

In "KDE System Settings" > 'Display and Monitor' > 'Compositor', uncheck 'Enable compositor on startup'

Return to “Software & Applications”