Mesa update breaks panel colour

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cobber

Mesa update breaks panel colour

Post by Cobber »

The latest update to Mesa has caused the bottom panel and menu colours to go to a very dark grey.

It has happened on two computers, one running 18.2 and the other 18.3.

The only way to fix it is to turn off the Compositior.

I noticed it installed libllvm6.0 in the process.

Anyone know why this happened and how to fix it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Mesa update breaks panel colour

Post by AZgl1800 »

Clem talked about that 2 days ago.
just be patient, it will all be fixed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Cobber

Post by Cobber »

I see that other post. Glad to know it's not something I did wrong.

Luckily leaving the compositor off solves any issues in the mean time.

I have been getting complacent and hadn't made a backup image since March. but could go back to that one if necessary. I used to make one before doing level 4 backups, especially where anything other than kernel updates was involved.

That''ll learn me!!
[raqneq]

Post by [raqneq] »

You can also change compositor display engine from OpenGL to XRender. It worked in my case.
Cobber

Post by Cobber »

I ended up taking the logical approach and not the easier one, and did a restore from my March backup.

Better to go back to a system that is stable than continue with one that has been corrupted and try to fix it.

I have told it to ignore Mesa updates for the time being.
[raqneq]

Post by [raqneq] »

Yes this is always better way, but this time I was like "what can possibly go wrong ?" :)
Unfortunately my last backups does not cover system files so I have a lesson for the future.
Cobber

Post by Cobber »

Making backups was one of the first things that was stressed to me when I first got involved with computers back in the 70's.

But the self-discipline to actually do it is another thing altogether. Whether you're dealing with a computer or a website, having a current backup image is vital.

It's not until you get caught out with an event like this one, that you kick yourself for being lazy. These incidents serve as timely reminders that the short time it takes to make your backups, more than pays for itself when you actually need them!

Return to “Software & Applications”