Installing KDE Plasma on Mint 19 Tara (Cinnamon)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frc_kde
Level 1
Level 1

Installing KDE Plasma on Mint 19 Tara (Cinnamon)

Post by frc_kde »

I have installed Plasma KDE upon a Mint 19 Tara Cinnamon ─ then removed (most of) Cinnamon ─ and it is fine after 6 intensive working days, now.

I have made a detailed report ─ unhappily in Portuguese (pt_BR) ─ but there is a Translator button at the topo of the right column. Sorry, this column doesn't appear within mobiles.

Hope it may be helpfull to someone.

https://byteria.blogspot.com/2018/08/li ... a-kde.html
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
6 × Intel® Core™ i5-9400 CPU @ 2.90GHz
TUF B360M-PLUS GAMING/BR - ASUSTeK
Intel UHD Graphics 630 (integrated)
Memory: 15.5 GiB of RAM
http://byteria.blogspot.com/
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Installing KDE Plasma on Mint 19 Tara (Cinnamon)

Post by catweazel »

frc_kde wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:13 am I have installed Plasma KDE upon a Mint 19 Tara Cinnamon ─ then removed (most of) Cinnamon ─ and it is fine after 6 intensive working days, now.

I have made a detailed report ─ unhappily in Portuguese (pt_BR) ─ but there is a Translator button at the topo of the right column. Sorry, this column doesn't appear within mobiles.

Hope it may be helpfull to someone.

https://byteria.blogspot.com/2018/08/li ... a-kde.html
Don't do this at home, folks.

It's much simpler to use Mint Xfce as the base then remove xfce.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
_Josue_

Post by _Josue_ »

I had tested instaling KDE on Mint Cinnamon 18.3 so I imagined it would work on Mint 19 just fine. Thanks for confirming it.
However I didn't remove cinnamon because I like it too, and use it from time to time as well (besides, why risk breaking anything for a little disk space? Unless... unless you are running very old hardware or very low hardware specs, in that case why even bother with KDE?)
All those "don't install another desktop environment" tutorials are a thing of the past. The ecosystem is stable enough and it works well (I even installed xscreensaver to get a picture slideshow instead of the default KDE lock screen just because I wanted to. Of course, I still think if you are a Linux beginner it's not an easy task, thus not recommmended, but it can't be said to be impossible anymore.
tomcashen

Post by tomcashen »

I'm glad somebody said that. I understand all the cautions regarding multiple DEs on an installation but I've been googling away the last couple of days and can't find specifics about what the real problems are (the ones I can't deal or live with).

I installed KDE over Cinnamon Mint 19 yesterday.

Unlike the OP, I don't want to get rid of Cinnamon. It feels like home to me. But KDE has a few features I'd like to use from time to time. KDEconnect, Dolphin, and Krunner. And in desktop configurations>mouse actions, I can configure the extra mouse buttons on my MX. Little things. But, hey.

My user case differs from session to session. Sometimes I sit down to manage files, other times I'm watching the Netflix. Sometimes I sit in front of this thing all day editing, and like to get notifications from the phone. I'm not a developer, but if I was, I get why they like I3 and other tiling wms. Thing is I'm not one user.

So I entered the experiment yesterday after about a year of distro-hopping to bare metal. Eyes wide open and all. Which is another way of saying I have good backups and can spare the 45 minutes for a clean re-install if all goes south. ;)
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

I often have multiple DE's installed for testing purposes with no issue. I've never tried mixing KDE and Cinnamon but have seen people report issues with doing so on several occasions. If the plan is to install KDE and get rid of the original desktop, I personally would start with something besides Cinnamon.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

tomcashen wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:46 am I installed KDE over Cinnamon Mint 19 yesterday.

Unlike the OP, I don't want to get rid of Cinnamon. It feels like home to me. But KDE has a few features I'd like to use from time to time. KDEconnect, Dolphin, and Krunner. And in desktop configurations>mouse actions, I can configure the extra mouse buttons on my MX. Little things. But, hey.
To add to what @JosephM has advised, it creates a support nightmare when people mix other DEs with Cinnamon. As a general rule, only very few experienced posters here would attempt it because they know that it is absolutely not tested or supported. If things take a turn for the worst then people who do these kinds of things are expected to be knowledgable enough to repair their system on their own because, as volunteers, we generally won't go near the mess people have made by installing a different DE.

In your case, there is no reason that either KDEconnect or dolphin wouldn't work on your Cinnamon installation, with the exception that dolphin wouldn't be integrated into the desktop properly so it might have issues with smb:// for example.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
frc_kde
Level 1
Level 1

Post by frc_kde »

catweazel wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:36 am Don't do this at home, folks.

First of all, let me say I agree 100% ─ XFCE (or MATE) editions are better to do that ─ and I said this at the first lines, in the link above. :)

In addition, I think it is better NOT to configure ─ XFCE, or MATE, or Cinnamon ─ before install KDE, if KDE is your preferred DE. I have had some problems, e.g., to set KDE single-click, if I had set it in another DE first. Why? Because I don't know so much about these DEs, in order to undo what I did within them, if something remains after remove them.

I have used Cinnamon edition just because I wanted to see its recent evolution ─ and I feel lazy to reinstall Mint 19 with XFCE, just to install KDE and remove XFCE. :oops:

Just for the record, I have replaced Mint 19 after some weeks, and started another experiment ─ LMDE 2 (beta), which offers only Cinnamon edition, ─ last August 16, and immediately began to install KDE, without configure Cinnamon. It was a bit more confuse, as I did some mistakes, but it works fine, and has 2 months now:

http://byteria.blogspot.com/2018/08/lmd ... makde.html
6 × Intel® Core™ i5-9400 CPU @ 2.90GHz
TUF B360M-PLUS GAMING/BR - ASUSTeK
Intel UHD Graphics 630 (integrated)
Memory: 15.5 GiB of RAM
http://byteria.blogspot.com/
cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cecilieaux »

catweazel wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:36 am

I'm curious about the sequence, would it be
  • install Linux Mint 19 “Tara” Xfce Edition
    add KDE
    remove Xfcw
or would the removal precede the adding? (And wouldn't the system crash without a DE?)

Ok, so I'm a doorknob, but I try to learn,
Cecilieaux
--
Every time I think I'm past newbiedom something like this happens.
Running Linux Mint 21 Vera with Cinnamon.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

cecilieaux wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:59 pm
catweazel wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:36 am

I'm curious about the sequence, would it be
  • install Linux Mint 19 “Tara” Xfce Edition
    add KDE
    remove Xfcw
That's about right.
or would the removal precede the adding? (And wouldn't the system crash without a DE?)
No, it shouldn't.

Return to “Software & Applications”