hiding windows on second screen

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gomess

hiding windows on second screen

Post by gomess »

Hello,

I am facing issue, but i am not sure if i will be able describe it properly.

I have notebook and two external monitors. First fullHD connected via VGA and second fullHD connected via HDMI.
When I move windows to left side of notebook display everything is ok, but when a want to move window to right side of notebook display window hides under bottom bar and i can see just few pixels from window bar. Fullscreen window works without any problem.

I hope you can understand my description. In case of any inquiries please write comment.

Notebook:
Lenovo g50-80
AMD Radeon R5 M330 2GB
8GB RAM

Linux Mint 18.3 KDE

I would appreciate any help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AvishayRapp

Re: hiding windows on second screen

Post by AvishayRapp »

Hey!
I wonder if I could help.
Can you take a screenshot of the screen that is causing you issues?
Along with "uname -r" output so we could know the exact system you are running?

Also, I do remember that I encountered a similar error in the past.
I fixed it by going to the Display settings and select mirror all display to see if it is a hardware issue, after seeing that mirror mode works without a problem I figured out that the third desktop was not setup the right way.
So I changed the resolution to a little lower and back up, don't ask me how but this fixed this.

Waiting for your reply.
gomess

Post by gomess »

Hello,

Thank you for quick reply.

At the moment system version is 4.13.0-32-generic but i am facing this issue for some time.

i tried your solution but no success.

After some testing i observe few things:

- when i keep plugged older monitor everything is ok
- only with newer monitor issue is present. I have to correct my description, monitor has resolution 2560x1080 (ratio 21:9), but even when i change resolution to fullHD issue is there.
- mirroring all three monitors with fullHD resolution is ok too.
AvishayRapp

Post by AvishayRapp »

Ok, so a small breakdown of what we know so far for others that might want to help.

1. In mirror mode all displays works the right way (So we know its a software issue, not hardware).
2. when you try to move a window its stuck on the bottom of the screen.

I got a few more questions that might help along the way.

1. What resolution are you trying to set?
2. Check to see that your graphic card drivers are updated, not just the generic one that the kernel loads, but the drivers for your GPU.
3. After updating / Installing the GPU drivers and rebooting the system, are you still having this issue?

Because we isolated the issue to a software one and not hardware this might be easier to solve.
Or open a bug on the bug mailing list :)

One of the other will eventually happen!
Waiting for your reply.

Return to “Software & Applications”