Please Teach Me How To Install VirtualBox With USB Support

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Kold Foot
Level 1
Level 1

Please Teach Me How To Install VirtualBox With USB Support

Post by Kold Foot »

I can't seem to figure out how to install VirtualBox with USB support in LM6 KDE. If someone could maybe do a step by step instruction post maybe even using the CLI I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Please Teach Me How To Install VirtualBox With USB Support

Post by emorrp1 »

The open-source edition of Virtualbox doesn't have USB support, you need to download the proprietary version from their website. See also second link http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Virtualbox+USB
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com

Kold Foot
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kold Foot »

Dear emorrp1, It appears that you are attempting to "spank" me when the need for "discipline" is unwarranted nor necessary. I've spent much time searching (including googling) and everything I've found has not helped me successfully install VB 2.2.4 with USB support on my LM6 KDE computer. It is because the OSE doesn't contain USB support that I am seeking help to install the version that does.

On a side note: I am painfully aware that I am apparently am one of those individuals that are not welcome to the Linux Community because I somehow do not possess the magical ability to ESP all the different eventualities and therefore am left with the only recourse of asking for help from time to time, plus I am a person who's spent most of his time on Windows. I have read Linux is not Windows.

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

Maybe you should have explained that in your first post! Or are we supposed to have ESP to know what you have tried or done?

From searching in this forum:

Postby altair4 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:51 am
Probably the best way to install the non-OSE version is from this posting by Fred:

Fred wrote:First I would suggest you use the non-free version of VirtualBox. If you will follow the instructions below, the first half of your problem should be solved. Open a terminal and type in each line of code and hit enter, (copy & paste avoids typos):

Sets root privileges

Code: Select all
sudo su

Removes remains of any old installs ( You probably don't need to do this if you haven't install the OSE version)

apt-get --purge remove virtualbox virtualbox*

Puts the VirtualBox intrepid repo in your /etc/apt/sources.list

echo "deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian intrepid non-free" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

Downloads and installs the apt key for the VirtualBox repo

wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... n_vbox.asc -O- | apt-key add -

Updates your package database

apt-get update

Installs VirtualBox 2.2 and the dkms routine to automate kernel module updates, if it isn't already installed.

apt-get -u install virtualbox-2.2 dkms

Follow any instructions given by the installer started by the above command.

Close the terminal. You should now have VirtualBox installed properly.

Fred

And just in case this wasn't clear you will have to then install WinXP into the VirtualBox virtual machine so you'll need a copy of the WinXP install CD.
regards, and welcome, Richard

Kold Foot
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kold Foot »

Hmm, I thought the phrase "I can't seem to figure out how......" would convey that I had tried many things. My apologies.

Kold Foot
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kold Foot »

Thanks Richard, I did have one hickup but from what I have been able to find before you posted, I was able to figure it out. By the way, where did you copy your post from?

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

Kold Foot,
Here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=24516

Hope everything works out. :D
regards, Richard

emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by emorrp1 »

Sorry, Kold Foot, there are a lot of "I can't seem to figure out how" posters that have tried very little, and there seem to be a lot of posts where the first or second hit on google details the solution precisely. In your case, now knowing that you had tried stuff, I can see that the google link wouldn't have been much help, so I'm sorry. Also, you'll be pleased to know that Gloria has packaged the non-free version in its repos, so makes it trivial to install.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com

Kold Foot
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kold Foot »

Thanks emorrp1, this LM6 KDE version is a whole different animal than the Main edition is.

lanrun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lanrun »

It seems that this case is solved, but I'll post this additional info anyway.

Howtoforge (http://www.howtoforge.com/) is a nice web site with a lot of Linux howtos. They have some guides about virtualization as well. Personally, I found a tutorial on installing virtualbox on Ubuntu: http://www.howtoforge.com/installing-vi ... 10-desktop, and How To Pass Through USB Devices To Guests On An Ubuntu 8.10 Host (http://www.howtoforge.com/virtualbox-2- ... -8.10-host). I decided to try these tutorials on my Mint 7 laptop, and it works just fine.

regards

Kold Foot
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kold Foot »

Thanks lanrun, that info is greatly appreciated but all of that stuff is for the Gnome desktop of which I could find tons of info for that desktop but not really much for the KDE. Plus the Gnome version of Ubuntu (LM Main also) is extremely simple to install but for now the KDE desktop one has to do more manual things.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

Is this topic [SOLVED] or is it still open. It sounds like it's closed. Are you still having problems?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Kold Foot
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kold Foot »

Yes altair4, I was able to finish testing the install today and it is working just fine. Thank you guys very much.

subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

I've always just gone and downloaded the "All Distributions" version straight from the source. It's at the bottom of the list.

Then, in a terminal simply run,

"sh VirtualBox-2.2.4-47978-Linux_amd64.run"
but make sure to change it to the actual version and number you downloaded without quotes and, there ya go!

If for some reason you don't already have your kernel headers then, you'll need those too....Mint normally includes them.

Return to “KDE”