[SOLVED] - Can't find gnome-terminal and it is indeed installed

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
m4l490n

[SOLVED] - Can't find gnome-terminal and it is indeed installed

Post by m4l490n »

Hello

I have installed gnome-teminal because konsole behaves really weird with zsh, anyway, the only way for me to run gnome-terminal is to use konsole command line and executing:

Code: Select all

gnome-teminal
Obviously, I don't want to do that. I have tried to open it from the applications drawer but I can't find it, even using the search function. I have also tried to create a shortcut but when looking for the application to open with the shortcut I don't find it anywhere. I don't know what is going on.

Does anyone know what could be missing?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Can't find gnome-terminal and it is indeed installed

Post by xenopeek »

Assuming Linux Mint 18.x, Gnome Terminal only shows in Gnome, Unity and Cinnamon. You can override it.

First, make sure override directory exists and then create the override file. You can do so by running these two commands:

Code: Select all

mkdir -p ~/.local/share/applications
sed '/^OnlyShowIn/d' /usr/share/applications/gnome-terminal.desktop > ~/.local/share/applications/gnome-terminal.desktop
Afterwards "Terminal" should show up in your menu shortly.
m4l490n

Post by m4l490n »

Thanks @xenopeek!! that resolved my issue!

How do I flag this question as answered? I can't find the option.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You can do that by editing your first post in this topic; see the pencil icon in the upper right corner of your top post. Change the title to include <SOLVED> to let others know you need no further help on it.

Return to “Software & Applications”