Where did the rest of the keyboard shortcuts go in 18.3?[Solved]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tuxkid

Where did the rest of the keyboard shortcuts go in 18.3?[Solved]

Post by Tuxkid »

The keyboard shortcuts have been largely redesigned in LM 18.x c.f. LM17.x and I can't find many that I liked to use. In particular, I use 'raise window' and 'lower window'. I like the active window to stay behind by default -- particularly if it's a konsole window -- and raised when I want it, so I like those shortcuts.

Have they been left out of the KDE 5.8.9 or have they moved somewhere I didn't think to look?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Where did the rest of the keyboard shortcuts go from 18.3?

Post by xenopeek »

Help me out here; which Linux Mint version are you on?
Tuxkid

Re: Where did the rest of the keyboard shortcuts go from 18.3?

Post by Tuxkid »

xenopeek wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:09 pm Help me out here; which Linux Mint version are you on?
I'm getting used to Linux Mint 18.3, trying to get the shortcuts I used in 17.3 to work. But I can't work out where or if they are still part of KDE 5.x
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Where did the rest of the keyboard shortcuts go in 18.3?

Post by xenopeek »

Alt + middle mouse button is toggle raise/lower (configured as a Window Action). You can configure other Actions in Window Manager Settings (accessible from the window menu > More Actions).

I can't make heads or tails of KDE keyboard shortcuts; why isn't there a list of window manager keyboard shortcuts like there are on other DEs? Perhaps somebody else can clarify on that.
Tuxkid

Post by Tuxkid »

xenopeek wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:45 am Alt + middle mouse button is toggle raise/lower (configured as a Window Action). You can configure other Actions in Window Manager Settings (accessible from the window menu > More Actions).
That doesn't work on my installation. However, I fleetingly found a place where I could set shortcuts under various categories including Kwin where I set that particular shortcut. It was fleeting, and I've not found it again, but at least for that one, I have the shortcut I like.
I can't make heads or tails of KDE keyboard shortcuts; why isn't there a list of window manager keyboard shortcuts like there are on other DEs? Perhaps somebody else can clarify on that.
It gets curiouser and curiouser the more I look.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Never use KDE, but 18.3 Cinnamon has all of the standard keyboard shortcuts that were/are popular in the Windows OS....

IMO, all shortcuts should be standard in all operating systems...
it should not matter what is under the keyboard, if you use Alt-I it should always mean "Italics"
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
thunder422

Post by thunder422 »

The shortcuts are under essentially the same place in 18.3 (KDE 5.8.9) as in 17.3 (KDE 4.14.2), almost.

Under System Settings, Workspace/Shortcuts, and on the Global Shortcuts page (with KDE 4 its Common Appearance and Behavior/Shortcuts and Gestures). Raise and Lower Window are under KWin (Other Shortcuts). They were easier to find on KDE 5 than with KDE 4 where you had to select KWin on the KDE component dropdown (on KDE 5 all of the "components" are visible, not accessed by a drop down).
Tuxkid

Post by Tuxkid »

thunder422 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:09 am ....
Under System Settings, Workspace/Shortcuts, and on the Global Shortcuts page (with KDE 4 its Common Appearance and Behavior/Shortcuts and Gestures). Raise and Lower Window are under KWin (Other Shortcuts). They were easier to find on KDE 5 than with KDE 4 where you had to select KWin on the KDE component dropdown (on KDE 5 all of the "components" are visible, not accessed by a drop down).
Thank you for that. I couldn't see for looking, as they say. And yes, it is a better layout.
Tuxkid

Post by Tuxkid »

AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:15 am Never use KDE, but 18.3 Cinnamon has all of the standard keyboard shortcuts that were/are popular in the Windows OS....
IMHO, Windows shortcuts are far too limited for my liking of customizing. It doesn't do what KDE allows so there can't be a shortcut for it
IMO, all shortcuts should be standard in all operating systems...
it should not matter what is under the keyboard, if you use Alt-I it should always mean "Italics"
Who would devise those standards?

Return to “Software & Applications”