Right click menu editing KDE 18.3

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MicroM

Right click menu editing KDE 18.3

Post by MicroM »

Hi.

My objective is to remove one of the listings (options) on the (mouse) right click menu for files.

Any links / help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Right click menu editing KDE 18.3

Post by Hoser Rob »

I think you'd have to really despise whatever menu item it is that you want to remove to make it worth the bother but have a read of this (took all of 15 seconds to find in a search engine BTW):

https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/7 ... nu_of_the/
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MicroM

Post by MicroM »

:lol: Yes, the menu link I want to remove is Delete.

Although you found that link in 15 seconds, I too found many, many more on the subject as well, but all are either substantially too deep for my hacking abilities or are not applicable.

The best solution lay here; https://www.linux-apps.com/content/show ... tent=85062 but the file has no active download link, and I've had no success in finding it hosted somewhere else.

Thanks.
thunder422

Post by thunder422 »

If it's Delete that you want to remove, that's easy enough to do. By default, Delete is usually not there and it has to be added (at least that's been my experience as I want the Delete option and it's not there). However, I do see that it appears to be enabled with Mint 18.3 after installation (by the way, my primary distributions are Mint 17.3 and KDE Neon, so I don't have much experience with 18.3 - I have it in a VM for testing, but right now I have decided to move to KDE Neon before 17.3 goes end-of-life this Spring since there is no Mint 19 KDE, and I don't intend to hack KDE into Mint 19).

Anyway, to enable (or disable) Delete, go to Configure Dolphin... (either from the Settings menu or the Control menu if the menu bar is turned off). In the Dolphin Preferences dialog, go to the Services page and you will see Delete. This is usually disabled after installation, and with Mint 18.3, it appears to also be disabled, though it isn't disabled. Clicking it on, has no effect. Hitting OK and then pulling this dialog up again and it is still off. Looks like a bug. But then I tried clicking it on, then off and hitting OK, and now the Delete option has disappeared from the right-click menu. Hmm, after doing this a couple of times, it seems like the Services page starting showing the correct status of the Delete option.
MicroM

Post by MicroM »

Many thanks for your assistance, thunder422 :D

One of the side effects of doing this is that there is no longer confirmation when sending files to the Trash. This is easily resolved by navigating to Control/Configure Dolphin/General/Confirmations/Moving Files Or Folders To Trash

:mrgreen:
thunder422

Post by thunder422 »

I know what you mean, I personally don't like using the trash, which requires me to delete a file twice (once to move to the trash and another to empty the trash). When I want to delete a file, I want to delete it, permanently. However, I do have confirmations on Delete turned on, because I don't want to accidentally delete anything.

This is what I like about KDE, it can usually be configured to work the way you want, and not be restricted to what the designers thought was best.
MicroM

Post by MicroM »

Well I've only been using Linux for about 2 weeks now and after many hours of reading I initially decided to go with 18.3 KDE. After acclimating and experimenting for a few days I thought I would then try Cinnamon. After a few hours I went back to KDE. Mint 18.3 KDE so far is rock solid. Super impressed.

Return to “Software & Applications”