Installing kde-full on Mint 19.1

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hstoellinger

Installing kde-full on Mint 19.1

Post by hstoellinger »

Hello,
I just installed Mint 19.1-Cinnamon (Tessa) and then kde-full on top of it. I did the same under Mint 19 (Tara) and everything worked o.k. - then. Now, on the contrary, when I select "Plasma" when booting, the desktop comes up, but it "limps" (golly, does it limp!). I cannot do things like moving windows around or changing their size. I wonder what's wrong. Has anybody had the same experience?
Thanks for your help
H. Stoellinger :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Installing kde-full on Mint 19.1

Post by jimallyn »

If you want to run KDE, it's best to start with XFCE, or so I'm told.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Installing kde-full on Mint 19.1

Post by phd21 »

HI hstoellinger,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Although I read that one person was able to install the KDE desktop into Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.x and claims it is working well for them, as jimallyn stated it has been frequently recommended to use Linux Mint 19.x Xfce or Mate editions.

I have tested various methods for installing the KDE desktop into Linux Mint 19 Xfce which I call Linux Mint 19 "xKDE" and the Mate edition I call "mKDE" and it works well. I prefer the Xfce edition for this. I do remove the Xfce or Mate desktop components afterward, but you do not have to.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen

Return to “Software & Applications”