Boot stuck on Plasma logo after switching to Xrenderer

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zzora

Boot stuck on Plasma logo after switching to Xrenderer

Post by zzora »

Hi everyone!

It seems I managed to screw up my system for the umpteenth time. Yesterday, I switched KDE to Xrenderer (or what is the correct name of it) compositor from OpenGL because I've had problems with dropdown menus being invisible in certain applications for a while. It really helped, problem solved, woo-hoo, everything seemed to be OK, but after a proper shutdown, the system now doesn't load, it only shows the Plasma logo after bootup, and the mouse cursor is working for some weird reason. I'm fairly certain that the compositor is the culprit, since no other major changes have been made recently. Is it possible to change the compositor from the terminal? Or to start it separately (though it was set to automatically load on boot, obviously)? I'm able to reach the terminal with Ctrl+Alt+F2, but it seems the display isn't recognized, or what.

mostly copied from an older thread of mine:

Code: Select all

Kernel: 4.10.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.8.8 (Qt 5.6.1)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: FUJITSU product: LIFEBOOK A357
           Mobo: FUJITSU model: FJNBB5C v: 752828-01R8101755
           Bios: FUJITSU // Insyde v: Version 2.02 date: 12/28/2017
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-6006U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 7968
           clock speeds: max: 2000 MHz 1: 500 MHz 2: 500 MHz 3: 500 MHz
           4: 500 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Sky Lake Integrated Graphics bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           tty size: 240x67 Advanced Data: N/A out of X
nothing else's shown in the Graphics paragraph, back when I used OpenGL two lines were displayed in connection with that + the resolution
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zzora

Re: Boot stuck on Plasma logo after switching to Xrenderer

Post by zzora »

Um, nevermind, it seems a startx command helps, it works, at least for now. Could someone explain why is this happening though? Will I have to manually start the X system at every boot if I keep using Xrender?

Return to “Software & Applications”