Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
physrito
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Deciding if going to KDE is safe from Cinnamon and coming back

Post by physrito » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:59 am

Hi everyone!

I am using Linux for about a month now. It is the only OS in my laptop. I am using the Cinnamon desktop version.

I really like the KDE look. And would like to switch to KDE desktop version. However, I am not so sure. I googled how to do it, and found this page.

It says this. It basically says to run this command-

sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop konsole kscreen

I can get that much.

I am concerned about the risks involved. I do all my coding and writing in my laptop. Will this anyhow put my data to risk?

Secondly, I heard that KDE uses up more resources and can make operations slow. I have a 4GB DDR4 memory and 10GB swap area. My processor is Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6006U CPU @ 2.00G. Can my system handle KDE without any problem?

What if I face problems or simply dislike KDE environment? How can I go back to Cinnamon without causing problem?

I need three informations from you-
  • Is it advisable to install KDE in an originally Cinnamon installation? Or is it known to cause problems? Should I refrain from doing it?
  • Can my system handle it?
  • How can I go back- without causing problem, to Cinnamon, if I want to?
I really need help. Please remember- safety first. I want my data to be safe more than anything.

Thanks for reading.
Last edited by physrito on Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Deciding if going to KDE is safe from Cinnamon and coming back

Post by catweazel » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:02 am

physrito wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:59 am
I am concerned about the risks involved. I do all my coding and writing in my laptop. Will this anyhow put my data to risk?
If you take that course of action, you will create a frankendesktop that is likely to give you a lot of trouble in the long run. Your best bet is to look at a KDE-specific distribution. I use KDE neon and I think it's the bee's knees. If you must have a Mint-based KDE then you're best to do it from a Mint Xfce installation.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

Return to “KDE”