Brightness Control Desktop

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Estteban

Brightness Control Desktop

Post by Estteban »

Hello,
I am running KDE 18.3 in my Dell Desktop and a Dell Monitor, I can not find a
way to control brightness control, mostly on videos played that are very dark, can someone help please?
any idea?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
redx87

Re: Brightness Control Desktop

Post by redx87 »

What model Dell monitor is it?

As far as I am aware, brightness and contrast are not normally controlled through your operating system, they are controlled through the buttons on your monitor which bring up an On-Screen Display Settings menu.
Estteban

Post by Estteban »

@redx87 ,The dell monitor is a E228WFP, when I had my older computer, it had an nvidia card, and the same system, it detected the monitor, and I was able to adjust the brightness and the gamma,. so I know it's possible, this dell desktop has the intel graphic card integrated.

Thanks
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

It may be possible with nvidia but that doesn't mean it's possible with intel.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

Estteban wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:37 am @redx87 ,The dell monitor is a E228WFP, when I had my older computer, it had an nvidia card, and the same system, it detected the monitor, and I was able to adjust the brightness and the gamma,. so I know it's possible, this dell desktop has the intel graphic card integrated.

Thanks
I think there are some settings in KDE under Power Management where you can adjust brightness. If that doesn't work, it's still possible using xrandr. Hoping you don't mind, I'll refer you to read this article http://sandipbgt.com/2015/10/01/control ... in-ubuntu/ and warn you that it won't work if you use Redshift or some such software as it'll set back the brightness level almost immediately.

Hope it helps, cheers.
Estteban

Post by Estteban »

Thank you Coldbootll for your reply, but it did not work either, I think is mainly because that monitor is not being recognized
as VGA1 or any brand, other than "default monitor"

Thanks again
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

Estteban wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:07 pm Thank you Coldbootll for your reply, but it did not work either, I think is mainly because that monitor is not being recognized
as VGA1 or any brand, other than "default monitor"

Thanks again
I am thinking that it's still recognized somehow otherwise, you wouldn't get any picture on it. Maybe, you should quote "default monito"r in xrandr command like you did in the post?

Code: Select all

xrandr --output 'default monitor' --brightness 1.0
Estteban

Post by Estteban »

Same result, thank you Coldbottll
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

Sorry to hear that, mala suerte. :( Than you have to rely on monitor hardware controls.

Cheers.
Estteban

Post by Estteban »

Eventually I will install an nvidia card
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

Well, I'm not sure if that would resolve the issue because the problem might be with the monitor. Besides, if you're counting on using the proprietary driver, I had an issue installing it as it was not possible to get any resolution higher than 640x480 and a crippled Nvidia Server Settings, just in case you plan to upgrade to 19.1 any time soon.
Estteban

Post by Estteban »

Nvidia has a handy utility called "Nvidia Settings" for Linux,
I’ve been running KDE for many years in 3 different computers and always had the nvidia chip,
this is my first system with an Intel video Chipset, and so that's why I was asking for help.
Estteban

Post by Estteban »

This is what I get when I tried to run the "xrandr" command:

caliest@caliestKDE-vostro ~ $ xrandr --listmonitors
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Monitors: 1
0: +*default 1680/444x1050/278+0+0 default
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

I get

Monitors: 1
 0: +*VGA-1 1920/477x1080/268+0+0  VGA-1
Maybe the mistake was with "default monitor" if you've typed that as argument to output option. From what it reads, you should try

xrandr --output default --brightness 1.0
Cheers.

Edit: correct me if I'm wrong, in KDE there is also some widget (or maybe several) through which brightness level can be controlled. You should try those as well.

Plus, I've just noticed the gamma error you're getting. Maybe, it is somehow related to video driver but I suppose that maximum resolution for your monitor is properly set? If not, this is interesting read from somebody who also used 18.3 on Intel graphics, with the same error showing.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... a-hdmi-lin

Edit2: also, try a different kernel newer/older and if that doesn't help I would try some other KDE distro live. Maybe they come with a newer driver for your graphics chip and that just might make a difference. KDE is dead on Mint anyway, so you wount't be at a loss.

Hope something of this will help you, cheers. :D
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

For what it's worth, I have tried once again installing Nvidia driver and Settings in 19.1, only this time not through Device Manager, which might have been broken in January, but using Software Center and this time around, it went fine, no issues. Brightness adjustment works as expected, so I take back what I said previously.

Cheers.
Estteban

Post by Estteban »

I get "xrandr: Gamma size is 0."
regardless of the brightness number I input , I am going to give a try
to the web site link you posted.

Thanks.,
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

I browsed the web to see the actual specs of your monitor and it seems that you wouldn't achieve much following the steps in the link. It appears that it is already set to its native resolution. I think that you should rather try different kernels available for 18.03 or even some other distro entirely that is not Ubuntu based, like OpenSuse or Mageia.

On the whole, I think you're quite right in presuming that it would be best to get some discreet card for your machine because even the cheapest 64bit models (like mine) provide more than these onboard chips. They are any good only for netbooks when batter autonomy is important.

Good luck and cheers. :D

Return to “Software & Applications”