Issues trying to install KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
since2019
Level 3
Level 3

Issues trying to install KDE

Post by since2019 »

Specs: 32-bit processor, 2007 computer Toshiba Satellite A-135-s4527
we know that mint is based on: /DEBIAN/UBUNTU(LTS)/LINUXMINT CINNAMON
KDE is the most advanced desktop environment available.

First i tried with:

sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop kde-plasma-desktop kscreen

and received this message:

kubuntu-desktop : Depends: software-properties-kde but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

then i tried:

sudo apt-get install aptitude
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude install kde-full

it installed but not entirely or correctly. no window bar, minimize, maximize. no settings, not correct barmenu position.

how to fix it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
inxi -Fxz
laptop Kernel: 5.0.0-32-generic i686 bits Cinnamon 4.4.5 Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia TOSHIBA Satellite A135 Dual Core Intel T2080 M Yonah, 800/1733 MHz, Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS Express Integrated Graphics, Drive 111.79 GiB, Memory 0.93 GiB
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Issues trying to install KDE

Post by catweazel »

since2019 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:36 pm how to fix it?
https://neon.kde.org/
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Beerislife

Post by Beerislife »

I agree with the choice of KDE Neon. I'm back on it now, although the boss is, and will keep using, Mint Cinnamon. I like the minimal install, with only Firefox and VLC installed by default. There's no sign of that horrible KMail either! You can build the system up as you please with just the apps you need! I was going to try Manjaro but there's more installed than I want and I'm too lazy to learn a new package management system! It took me ages to switch from YUM (Fedora) to APT :lol:
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi since2019,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

There are various methods to install the KDE desktop into Linux Mint and many posts on this topic in this forum. It has been highly recommended that people use the Linux Mint Xfce or Mate desktops for installing KDE desktop.

I have a fully functional working Linux Mint Xfce desktop with the Kubuntu KDE desktop which I call "xKDE", the Mate edition I call "mKDE".

I tried to install and use the KDE Neon desktop in Linux Mint, but I always had issues that could not be resolved when doing that. I have also tried helping others who have tried integrating KDE Neon into Linux Mint Cinnamon and other editions and also ended up re-installing Linux Mint because of dependency issues.

I do have and use Linux KDE Neon user edition which is a lot like Linux Mint 19.x and also uses the Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic base and it works well, but is a "bare" minimal KDE installation, so I recommend installing "kde-full" afterward and restarting. The Kubuntu KDE 18.04 installs KDE with the most popular KDE apps.

How to install KDE plasma desktop on Linux Mint 19 - Computing for Geeks
https://computingforgeeks.com/how-to-in ... x-mint-19/

How to Install KDE Desktop Environment on Linux Mint 19 Tara
https://linuxhint.com/install_kde_linux_mint_19/

How to Install Latest KDE Plasma on Ubuntu (Linux Mint)
- two commands using "tasksel"
https://www.fossmint.com/install-kde-plasma-on-ubuntu/

Previous post: Install KDE from live environment - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?t=271815

You could try running these commands to see if it can resolve your problems:

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude install -f

sudo apt install kde-full

sudo aptitude install -f
After installing KDE Kubuntu into Linux Mint, I would recommend adding their "KDE backports" PPA and running updates to keep the KDE apps updated.
kubuntu-desktop : Depends: software-properties-kde but it is not going to be installed – Pravin's Blog
https://pravin517.wordpress.com/2019/07 ... installed/

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
reboot, restart your computer, re-run this

sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop
IMHO, the KDE "Kmail" email software client is one of the best most feature rich email clients, if not the best email client, I have ever used, but it can be more complicated to use some features over other email clients like Thunderbird, etc...

Good Luck...

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

People installing one distro and then attempting to make it into some other desktop based distro always reminds me of a Johnny Cash song.
Johnny Cash Cadillac, One piece at a time.
Johnny Cash Cadillac, One piece at a time.
aaronrv

Post by aaronrv »

since2019 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:36 pm Specs: 32-bit processor, 2007 computer Toshiba Satellite A-135-s4527
we know that mint is based on: /DEBIAN/UBUNTU(LTS)/LINUXMINT CINNAMON
KDE is the most advanced desktop environment available.

First i tried with:

sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop kde-plasma-desktop kscreen

and received this message:

kubuntu-desktop : Depends: software-properties-kde but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

then i tried:

sudo apt-get install aptitude
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude install kde-full

it installed but not entirely or correctly. no window bar, minimize, maximize. no settings, not correct barmenu position.

how to fix it?
It's because KDE can't install beside Cinnamon, because of Cinnamon's dependencies.

If you use Xfce. KDE will install.

Return to “Software & Applications”