Desktop effects not working Linux Mint 18 KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AfjalKhan

Desktop effects not working Linux Mint 18 KDE

Post by AfjalKhan »

I have notice a few things that are going on with this problem. First off, when I click top install Wobbly Windows and the Desktop Cube they do not work when I select the Screen Edges. I did make sure that the compositor is enabled. The compositor is set to OpenGL 2.0. When It is set to Xrenderer the hot corners work; but the cube does not work. Secondly, sometimes when I tick the Desktop Effects in the submenu Desktop Behavior, System Settings window will crash.

I'm not sure if this is related to my computer; but I thought I should report it. My computer is running the Intel Pentium Dual Core CPU E2200 @ 2.2GHz 4GIB RAM 64-bit.

Thank you,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Desktop effects not working Linux Mint 18 KDE

Post by BG405 »

It will be useful to see the output of inxi -Fxz which will provide needed details about your system. Then we can get a better idea of where to start.

What I did find was that on my old Acer, in Linux Mint 17.3 KDE all the effects worked fine. However, using a newer distro I couldn't get Wobbly Windows and a few other things to work, due supposedly to my graphics not being capable (in fact the newer kernels probably dropped support for my ancient chipset). So it might be worth trying an earlier kernel e.g. the latest in the 4.4 series.

I can't remember what or how much I did in pursuit of a fix on mine, probably not a lot as I was too busy working with other things at the time. The same disk, however, is now in a more capable machine (a Lenovo T440) and what a surprise .. all the effects work, Google Earth now works .. without having to do anything (other than change the machine's hostname & the browser sync profile name accordingly, for my benefit).

Oh, by the way, welcome to the Linux Mint Forums! :D
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Software & Applications”