KDE on linux mint 20

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hugh Neutron
Level 4
Level 4

Re: KDE on linux mint 20

Post by Hugh Neutron »

Why do people do this, it's literally transformed into Kubuntu 20.04 LTS. Clem and the guys don't maintain KDE anymore, so you are getting none of Mint's features. This is only good as an exercise to know how to swap DE's without formatting a hardrive.
always wanting to learn more about Linux. It saved me from the Windows 10 telemetry and SAAS nightmare.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

It was by far the most comfortable KDE installation I've ever done ...
In addition, an essential part of Linux is that you do exactly what is not intended. That's why people do it.

By the way: Kubuntu was foolish, Neon was crashing and Debian KDE Buster has been running beautifully for more than half a year - and was also easy to install.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Hugh Neutron wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:08 am Why do people do this, it's literally transformed into Kubuntu 20.04 LTS. Clem and the guys don't maintain KDE anymore, so you are getting none of Mint's features. This is only good as an exercise to know how to swap DE's without formatting a hardrive.
An exercise for the bored I guess. It's nice to know it can be done.

BAck in the day, Mint KDE was much more polished than Kubuntu, so it was my go to distro. I've swicthed my main desktop and laptop to neon two years ago but still run Mnt XFCE on the family's hardware. AT least now there is another option.

BTW we are getting Mint features like the software store, the update manager, the kernel manager, and warpinator. Plus KDE's compositor is miles ahead Compton, compiz, Marco muffin puffin and what not.
Hugh Neutron
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hugh Neutron »

mr_raider wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:17 am
Hugh Neutron wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:08 am Why do people do this, it's literally transformed into Kubuntu 20.04 LTS. Clem and the guys don't maintain KDE anymore, so you are getting none of Mint's features. This is only good as an exercise to know how to swap DE's without formatting a hardrive.

BAck in the day, Mint KDE was much more polished than Kubuntu, so it was my go to distro. I've swicthed my main desktop and laptop to neon two years ago but still run Mnt XFCE on the family's hardware. AT least now there is another option.

BTW we are getting Mint features like the software store, the update manager, the kernel manager, and warpinator. Plus KDE's compositor is miles ahead Compton, compiz, Marco muffin puffin and what not.
I think warpinator has a PPA, i also bet it's .deb can be ripped from Mint's servers and installed on Kubuntu 20.04. There is also third party software to change kernels.
always wanting to learn more about Linux. It saved me from the Windows 10 telemetry and SAAS nightmare.
paulnoise

Post by paulnoise »

I did this because I wanted to see if it is possible also because KDE is my DE of choice. Also this doesn't transform mint 20 into Kubuntu.Mint may not maintain KDE however KDE will still update the DE but the base distro of Mint will still be maintained by the Mint development team. It is mint KDE the same way Mint XFCE is not Xubuntu.

I posted the original post to let people know it is possible and how I did it. There are probably lots of better/easier ways to do what I have done, but I think I posted this the day Mint 20 was released or a couple of days after that. I didn't think there would be as many views or replies on this post as there has been. I'm glad to see that it has helped some people and I'm glad to see it has caused people to think and debate what makes a distro unique. Mint is a fantastic base distro to try new things with.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Just to clarify, this is a personal experiment I'm conducting. I do NOT recommend this for a novice on a production machine.

The install can break at any time. That's why I'm doing my apt upgrades via command line just be sure
Hugh Neutron
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hugh Neutron »

paulnoise wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:06 am
I did this because I wanted to see if it is possible also because KDE is my DE of choice. Also this doesn't transform mint 20 into Kubuntu.Mint may not maintain KDE however KDE will still update the DE but the base distro of Mint will still be maintained by the Mint development team. It is mint KDE the same way Mint XFCE is not Xubuntu.

I posted the original post to let people know it is possible and how I did it. There are probably lots of better/easier ways to do what I have done, but I think I posted this the day Mint 20 was released or a couple of days after that. I didn't think there would be as many views or replies on this post as there has been. I'm glad to see that it has helped some people and I'm glad to see it has caused people to think and debate what makes a distro unique. Mint is a fantastic base distro to try new things with.
technically Mint is Ubuntu's LTS with sprinkles. Those "sprinkles" only cover Cinnamon, Mate, and xfce. Because Focal's repo has KDE it will be not getting any sprinkles. KDE is not coming from Mint's main repo but rather Focal's Universe.

You basically are getting the Kubuntu experience.
Hugh Neutron
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hugh Neutron »

I'm just saying, once Mint 18x expires, this section might be removed and the best option for KDE Mint fans is to use Kubuntu. There are ways to remove snap and install Flatpak and Warpinator on Kubuntu. Xapps are GTK and tools like Featherpad , VLC media and Okular and QTpdf are qt alternatives to them.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Hugh Neutron wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:04 am I'm just saying, once Mint 18x expires, this section might be removed and the best option for KDE Mint fans is to use Kubuntu. There are ways to remove snap and install Flatpak and Warpinator on Kubuntu. Xapps are GTK and tools like Featherpad , VLC media and Okular and QTpdf are qt alternatives to them.
Most Mint KDE fans moved on to Kubuntu, Neon or other distros (like Netrunner back in the day) long ago. I swicthed my production machines to Neon, and the family PCs to Mint XFCE. Now I just hang around here for the witty conversation.

I agree that if someone came to me today and said they want KDE, my first recommendation would NOT be to pull a franken distro like KDE over XFCE.
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 »

BrianI wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:03 pm Very interesting!

I must admit I'm in two minds with regards to KDE. Yes, it is flexible, and customisable, but I also find it somewhat overwhelming! But I do fancy a change from Cinnamon, to try to get a bit more speed out of my system...
I thought the same initially when I first tried KDE. But then I gave myself a full half-day to play around it and it blew my mind. I now use Q4OS plasma which boots up at about 600mb and runs like an absolute dream.
jibel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jibel »

@paulnoise,
here is my transformation from L.M. 20 Xfce ===> Kde/kubuntu plasma 5..many thanks for your help...Personal I have an other L.M. ......17.1 with Kde plasma 4... who are became version plasma 5 in KDE ...In the ex version KDE plasma 4 exist many options not practicably in plasma 5 now... many thanks again..I have do that this morning in 2 hours, I have follow exactly step by step.... hip hip :lol: :lol:
Toutes fautes d'orthographe de syntaxe sont la propriété intellectuelle de l'auteur, elles peuvent être modifiées corrigées surtout a améliorées sans l'accord du susdit. Voyager Mint 19.2,HD4 tera 1 ext 500Go Almanet Dolys
paulnoise

Post by paulnoise »

jibel wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:30 am Image
@paulnoise,
here is my transformation from L.M. 20 Xfce ===> Kde/kubuntu plasma 5..many thanks for your help...Personal I have an other L.M. ......17.1 with Kde plasma 4... who are became version plasma 5 in KDE ...In the ex version KDE plasma 4 exist many options not practicably in plasma 5 now... many thanks again..I have do that this morning in 2 hours, I have follow exactly step by step.... hip hip :lol: :lol:
I'm glad it worked for you. :D
jibel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jibel »

@paulnoise,
Thanks see you soon 8)
Toutes fautes d'orthographe de syntaxe sont la propriété intellectuelle de l'auteur, elles peuvent être modifiées corrigées surtout a améliorées sans l'accord du susdit. Voyager Mint 19.2,HD4 tera 1 ext 500Go Almanet Dolys
silverstory
Level 1
Level 1

Post by silverstory »

I'm loving my KDE plasma setup at the moment. I wish I can update the version but I'll stick with what I have for now.
Philipp91
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Philipp91 »

I recently installed KDE on my Mint because Cinnamon is buggy and nobody seems to care (https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/issues/9621). I used this simple command I found somewhere on the Internet, and it worked just fine (it asked me to choose a display manager, I picked lightdm, that's it):

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports && sudo apt update && sudo apt install kde-plasma-desktop
I'm not being especially careful with apt or so, and I trust that Mint's Timeshift is still operational, so if anything breaks it would be easy to revert. Yes, if I were to install my OS from scratch, I'd probably pick Kubuntu or KDE neon (that said, I've never tried them before).

I came to this thread to ask about the two update managers aready posted here: viewtopic.php?p=1841888&sid=2ee14e11d66 ... f#p1841888. As far as I can tell, they offer the same updates, just Discover shows them in somewhat more detail. No matter in which one I hit "install", the other one is also empty afterwards. But what annoys me are the duplicate notifications. Is there a way to just disable (the notifications of) one of these two? Which one would you pick?
spo00n
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spo00n »

mr_raider wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:17 am

I may have to give it a go. This is pretty straight fwd. I left Mint when they dropped KDE (which wasn't great at the time). I never could get past the OS9 vibe of gnome, cinnamon, MATE & always wind up annoyed. A straight ubuntu base is ass, tho. This totally makes sense.
f23948
Level 4
Level 4

Post by f23948 »

i don't like KDE desktop environment because to me KDE desktop environment is not for newbies
The Muffin Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by The Muffin Man »

I have been using KDE Neon on my primary laptop (Dell E6330) ever since Mint dropped KDE.
I run Mint on my other PCs.
"Go ahead. I don't shop here."
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

MX 21 KDE on my main Linux box here, it runs Plasma 5.20 with a Debian Stable base.

I've noticed that some users are a bit male pattern OCD when it comes to settings. They may not like KDE because there are so many of them. I've never had a problem with that, when I get a new version I just use it. The defaults are pretty good, and if I decide I don't like one of them I'm pretty confident I can find one.

I like the Debian stable base even though you do get older software and Ubuntu ppas aren't such a good idea. The Debian user base has a high expertise level so when you search for support info you don't have to slog through pages and pages of things that never get anywhere.

Like some others here, I wouldn't just install KDE in Mint. If you want to use a particular desktop you should use a distro that supports it.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Software & Applications”