Just tried Mint KDE CE...

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mararual
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Just tried Mint KDE CE...

Post by mararual » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:06 pm

@mintnoob, Go to system settings, appearance, Fonts.

Enable antialiasing, click configure and enable sub-pixel rendering RGB, hinting: slight. It looks much better in my opinion.

JoeFootball
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JoeFootball » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:01 am

mararual wrote:@mintnoob, Go to system settings, appearance, Fonts.

Enable antialiasing, click configure and enable sub-pixel rendering RGB, hinting: slight. It looks much better in my opinion.
Great tip! Thanks!

donnshaffer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by donnshaffer » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:21 am

Just installed the RC and it went well on my T500 Thinkpad, sound worked, looks great.

Two minor points, on the partitioning part of the install, I went to the advanced screen (I think it was called) because I wanted to use partitions I had already set up. The window that showed the existing partitions was fairly small and couldn't be maximized. I couldn't read the partition labels, the field was too small and couldn't be stretched. I was able to figure out where to put everything so it wasn't a significant problem.

Also, it appears the kernel isn't pae so it doesn't see all 4 gb of memory. The regular Mint 8 with Gnome does have a pae kernel. Any chance we could get the kernel with pae for the final release? If not, what would it take to get it, a recompile? I have the pae kernel on the regular Mint 8 installed on another partition, can I use this kernel with the KDE version or am I asking for trouble? Is pae a loadable module?

Great release, thanks to all.

Donn
Last edited by donnshaffer on Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeFootball
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JoeFootball » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:11 pm

donnshaffer wrote:Two minor points, on the partitioning part of the install, I went to the advanced screen (I think it was called) because I wanted to use partitions I had already set up. The window that showed the existing partitions was fairly small and couldn't be maximized. I couldn't read the partition labels, the field was too small and couldn't be stretched. I was able to figure out where to put everything so it wasn't a significant problem.

Also, it appears the kernel isn't pae so it doesn't see all 4 gb of memory. The regular Mint 8 with Gnome does have a pae kernel. Any chance we could get the kernel with pae for the final release? If not, what would it take to get it, a recompile? I have the pae kernel on the regular Mint 8 installed on another partition, can I use this kernel with the KDE version or am I asking for trouble? Is pae a loadable module?
These would probably be great comments for the Linux Mint 8 KDE RC1 Bug topic. Not sure if the right eyes will find them in here.

Joe

condowax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by condowax » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:24 pm

@donnshaffer When I installed the RC the pae kernel was automatically installed for me.

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:27 pm

The 32 bit KDE CE has a pae enabled kernel by default. The latest kernel was used so there would be fewer graphics card issues. The original kernel used in the Kubuntu base had issues, some people had a black screen at boot and Intel graphics were very problematic. Boo wanted the best hardware support possible with the current base.

Airdack
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Airdack » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:03 am

I think next releases of Linux Mint should be 64 bit first, 32 bit later ... tests show that the 64 bit kernel is WAY faster than the 32bit kernel, and many people have 4GB RAM today. To be honest, I am not one of them but of course my CPU supports 64bit instructions and my computer is quite old which indicates that 64bit support has been there for a looong time, so why not make the switch? 64 bit isn't the future, it is the today :)

JoeFootball
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JoeFootball » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:43 am

Airdack wrote:I think next releases of Linux Mint should be 64 bit first, 32 bit later ... tests show that the 64 bit kernel is WAY faster than the 32bit kernel, and many people have 4GB RAM today. To be honest, I am not one of them but of course my CPU supports 64bit instructions and my computer is quite old which indicates that 64bit support has been there for a looong time, so why not make the switch? 64 bit isn't the future, it is the today :)
Not to dispute your opinion, but here's what the Linux Mint 8 User Guide says on the subject...
Linux Mint 8 User Guide wrote:If you have less than 4GB of RAM, even if your processor is 64-bit, you should choose the Main Edition. There is no tangible performance gain with the x64 Edition on computers with less than 4GB of RAM and the Main Edition is known to be more stable (X86_64 is quite new and most software actually runs faster and better in a 32-bit environment, no matter whether the CPU actually supports 64-bit or not).
I'm sure there are instances to the contrary.

Joe

Craig
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Craig » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:37 pm

I've tried to use the latest KDE 4 distributions but on every single one I'm getting on my monitor Out Of Reach and it's extremely annoying. 

Unfortunately, it's the same with Linux Mint 8 KDE (RC1) CE which is a shame because I wanted to try this. KDE 3.5 distributions work perfectly but with KDE 4 
it's completely different and it would be interesting to know if anyone knows why that is the case or if there is generally a solution out there?

I've checked the MD5SUM and everything has been good there so I'm not sure what the problem is. I'm running Linux Mint 8 Main and that does
not give me any problems at all.

Craig
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Craig » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:36 am

Managed to fix it, It was a resolution problem. There seems to be a problem with it's refreshing rate though which it's not doing on my computer so it's really sluggish on just navigating around the desktop.

It's kind of blurry as well in the browser Firefox which I'm sure would be resolved when Microsoft fonts are installed since I got the same kind of effect when I installed the Mint Main (Gnome Edition).

I think it's going to be a solid release if you can manage to sort out these relative small issues that have been reported though. I'll be waiting until it's stable and trying it out properly then when hopefully it will reach it's potential to be great and exceed expectations. :)

Aevum
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Aevum » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:03 am

I had soem resolution problems after installing it. It was running out a 1024x768 instead of a 1360xsomething..
I just needed to look into the GMA 500 installed drivers and it all went out fine after. It sure is a solid distribution, even though I''m more bound to the gnome look :D

Return to “KDE”